bathing

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
Hi guys, I have researched this but can't find unconflicting information. I have a Russian tortoise. What temp should his bath be? How deep? How often? For how long? I gave him a bath today 85 degrees. In a 2 x2 foot container. I put it at a slight incline so there was a deeper end. I kept him in until he pooped changed the water and left him in for about 10 minutes. He loves it. Puts his head under, blows bubbles and seemed very happy. The pet store said every Saturday. Thank you for any advice you can offer :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If your Russian tortoise is grown, he doesn't need forced soaks. If he's a baby, just feel the temp with your hand and make it warm but not hot. The water should come up to the middle of his sides so he doesn't have to strain to keep his head above the water. Soak a baby for about 15 minutes daily. For a baby, a bowl is just fine. For a baby, weekly isn't often enough...daily is just fine. A full grown Russian tortoise can hydrate himself from a clay plant saucer placed in his habitat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just looked at your other thread where you posted the picture and your tortoise is almost full grown. Since he seems to enjoy the forced soaks, go ahead and soak him every Saturday. Once a week is fine for an adult. Otherwise, a waterer in his habitat is ok for his hydration.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I object to the term "forced soaks". I feel this attempts to put a very negative connotation on a very positive thing. There is no "force" involved whatsoever with a tortoise happily sitting in a tub of warm water.

Any indoor tortoise will benefit from regular soaks. Some need it more than others and it depends largely on your individual situation. The air in our heated and air conditioned homes is very dry, and this coupled with hot dry basking bulbs can lead to dehydration. Newly acquired tortoises often arrive in a very dehydrated state from their long journey over seas, and regular soaks for the first few months are a good way to help them recover from their difficult journey. Ideally a tortoise would drink plenty on its own, but frequently and for a wide variety of reason, they don't. Regular soaks are a good way to insure hydration whether your tortoise chooses to drink or not. Soaking a tortoise that does not need it will harm nothing. Not soaking a tortoise that does need it could be fatal.

Guidelines: I would soak a newly acquired adult every other day for the first few months. After that 2 or 3 times a week will be adequate to insure good hydration is maintained in a dry indoor enclosure over winter, but more won't hurt anything, and they could certainly survive with less.

I keep the water between 85 and 95. If your tortoise was happy with 85 degree water, no need to change it. 20-30 minutes is enough to get the job done, 45 minutes won't hurt any thing. For water depth, I go about a third to half way up the shell for adults.