Battling the heat and I figured something out

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I purchased a mister from Amazon and the water isn't as chilly.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
This is what I was referring to. I have something similar to this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240705-155937.png
    Screenshot_20240705-155937.png
    276.6 KB · Views: 1

jojay327

10 Year Member!
Elgin, South Carolina
Isn't your water straight from the hose? The mister water droplets are smaller.
Yes. From the hose. Just propped it up and bought a timer at Home Depot. He has been loving it. He’ll go to his house but comes out every time he hears it. I can watch from work on our security camera. Just been a tuff 3 weeks over 100 and. O rain

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yep, it's suggested all the time to use sprinklers or misters to cool down a tortoises area in the too hot temps.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
We are having our first heat wave of the year and I've been running the sprinkler in a similar schedule. The main difference is that I'm sitting with them in the mist. 😆 I used to put out kiddie pools for them but they would get destroyed. The turtle sandbox gets an endorsement from me. They all tromp through it when the sprinkler is on. They are also making a mud wallow in the tall grass. PXL_20240702_234816573.jpg

jojay327

10 Year Member!
Elgin, South Carolina
We are having our first heat wave of the year and I've been running the sprinkler in a similar schedule. The main difference is that I'm sitting with them in the mist. 😆 I used to put out kiddie pools for them but they would get destroyed. The turtle sandbox gets an endorsement from me. They all tromp through it when the sprinkler is on. They are also making a mud wallow in the tall grass. View attachment 373518
Love it. I’m gonna check out that sandbox to see how high it is. I’m sure my big boy could climb in and out. I was about to start a concrete pond tomorrow.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Love it. I’m gonna check out that sandbox to see how high it is. I’m sure my big boy could climb in and out. I was about to start a concrete pond tomorrow.
The redfoot in the pool is 22lbs. He can get in and out fine but I did make a wood ramp on the outside and put a couple of bricks so they have traction to push themselves out.

jojay327

10 Year Member!
Elgin, South Carolina
I think I’m gonna need something bigger. It’s only like 34 x 36 inside Jesse‘s probably 150 pounds a couple of kicks and I think he’d get all the water out of that.

jojay327

10 Year Member!
Elgin, South Carolina
I’ve been researching a lot about building ponds. There’s a YouTube channel called the tortoise whisperer and he’s built these concrete ponds with decorative pebbles with drains and all that stuff. I’m gonna attempt that. Plus, if I do it good it will look really nice in his pen.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve been researching a lot about building ponds. There’s a YouTube channel called the tortoise whisperer and he’s built these concrete ponds with decorative pebbles with drains and all that stuff. I’m gonna attempt that. Plus, if I do it good it will look really nice in his pen.
Link for a video?