New habitat questions

mamameg

Location (City and/or State)
Detroit, MI, USA
Hello! I am upgrading my redfoot into a larger habitat. It’s a raised garden bed with a tent enclosure to help keep in the humidity. I’m a little uneasy on how this all goes, as I have only dealt with tanks in the past. Does it need a boarder? If so, any suggestion on a type? I was looking at wood ones, but worried about splinters. Also- any suggestion on how to hang her lights?

Attaching photos of the base and tent.

Thanks in advance! IMG_1537929749.044235.jpgIMG_5363.jpg

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Can you buy those bamboo strips like these
IMG_1537942332.223895.jpg

I’ve seen these used as edging on many enclosures.

Also your tent has a metal frame? Can you suspend the lights with cable ties?

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
Can you buy those bamboo strips like these
View attachment 252523

I’ve seen these used as edging on many enclosures.

Also your tent has a metal frame? Can you suspend the lights with cable ties?

It has metal posts but I haven’t put it all together yet so I’m not sure how the frame works. Do you think cable ties will be sturdy enough? What about for a long uv light?

Great idea with the bamboo! Ordering those now! Thank you!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hello! I am upgrading my redfoot into a larger habitat. It’s a raised garden bed with a tent enclosure to help keep in the humidity. I’m a little uneasy on how this all goes, as I have only dealt with tanks in the past. Does it need a boarder? If so, any suggestion on a type? I was looking at wood ones, but worried about splinters. Also- any suggestion on how to hang her lights?

Attaching photos of the base and tent.

Thanks in advance! View attachment 252513View attachment 252514

This looks like a pretty smart idea:)

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
@Elohi do you have any insight for me? I'm putting it together Friday and am wondering how to hang lights, especially the uv light (it's a long strip not a bulb light) . I couldn't find anything in your thread.

Thanks!

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
Also- does anyone have any good suggestions for bridges or other things for her to climb on? Now that she has to come inside for the year I want to keep her happy and not bored! Looking for fun things to put into her habitat to keep her entertained.

Thanks in advance guys!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Also- does anyone have any good suggestions for bridges or other things for her to climb on? Now that she has to come inside for the year I want to keep her happy and not bored! Looking for fun things to put into her habitat to keep her entertained.

Thanks in advance guys!
I'd avoid anything to climb on. (It'd just be something to fall off of)
Redfoot like to eat and they like to nap. That's what they like to do.
Mine have a couple hundred square feet of room and I usually find them within 5 feet of where I saw them a few days ago.

mamameg

Detroit, MI, USA
I'd avoid anything to climb on. (It'd just be something to fall off of)
Redfoot like to eat and they like to nap. That's what they like to do.
Mine have a couple hundred square feet of room and I usually find them within 5 feet of where I saw them a few days ago.

So they sent the wrong table and it does not fit with the table tent. I had already filled the table with dirt/potting soil/plants/everything but the tortoise and therefore must keep it. It is rectangular not square. I’m having a hard time finding a table tent for a rectangle and need to move her soon. She is inside now and has outgrown her 40 gallon tank.

Any ideas on how to use the table I have would be great! I’m starting to look into walk in enclosures although I wasn’t planning on this taking up my entire living room!

Help!