Baytril Injections for Leopard Daily?

Pippen's Pal

Location (City and/or State)
Port Elizabeth South Africa
I had Gopherus agassizii with mycoplasma who is 22 years old...his whole life I treated him just as @Yvonne G told you...Daily tetracycline powder soaks with strained carrots...every day...EVERY DAY for 17 years. He is still alive without snot bubbles or URTI. I don't think your tort is warm enuf...Putting a towel over him to protect from due is BAD...cool and wet is BAD. He needs a warm (20c) small box to sleep in with a warming bulb...29c he needs to be almost hot most of the time to get rid of the disease. It is very obvious to me, Tom and Yvonne that he is too cold for the disease to leave. 29 degrees celcius all the time...he needs to be warm to hot ALL THE TIME...here is the tortoise, happy healthy and beautifulView attachment 366238
I also used a human nasal spray to help him breathe...now he only has 1 nostril, but it works and he is living a happy not sick life...I really treated him daily for 17 years...That is exactly what you have to do...I didn't use a Vet at all, except for the diagnosis. I used my sister who is an expert in Leopard tortoises and Gopherus agassizii and other species...with her knowledge I don't need a Vet...now she and Tom and I are telling you exactly what you need to do..follow View attachment 366239our directions...this is one happy tortoise...
Difficult to FOLLOW if the tetracycline is not freely available. I've busting my b@lls to get the medication and can't the one supplier who we've FINALLY found will only sell through a vet. the other tetracycline I could get is for birds at 100g a tub and my boy is 17kg. The other I can get is only sold in 50kg bags for poultry farmers, I can't afford. I am doing my best to help my boy.

Pippen's Pal

I had Gopherus agassizii with mycoplasma who is 22 years old...his whole life I treated him just as @Yvonne G told you...Daily tetracycline powder soaks with strained carrots...every day...EVERY DAY for 17 years. He is still alive without snot bubbles or URTI. I don't think your tort is warm enuf...Putting a towel over him to protect from due is BAD...cool and wet is BAD. He needs a warm (20c) small box to sleep in with a warming bulb...29c he needs to be almost hot most of the time to get rid of the disease. It is very obvious to me, Tom and Yvonne that he is too cold for the disease to leave. 29 degrees celcius all the time...he needs to be warm to hot ALL THE TIME...here is the tortoise, happy healthy and beautifulView attachment 366238
I also used a human nasal spray to help him breathe...now he only has 1 nostril, but it works and he is living a happy not sick life...I really treated him daily for 17 years...That is exactly what you have to do...I didn't use a Vet at all, except for the diagnosis. I used my sister who is an expert in Leopard tortoises and Gopherus agassizii and other species...with her knowledge I don't need a Vet...now she and Tom and I are telling you exactly what you need to do..follow View attachment 366239our directions...this is one happy tortoise...
Difficult to follow if the tetracycline is not freely available here. I've busting my b@lls to get the medication, even tried sourcing online. We finally found ONE supplier locally who is willing to assist with a paste, NOT POWDER and will only sell it through a vet. You are fortunate you don't need a vet for help, it's a lot less expensive. The only other tetracycline I could get is for birds at 100g a tub, my boy is 17kg, or 50kg for poultry farmers, which I can't afford at this stage. He sleeps indoors with a towel over him at night, to stop any moisture in the air getting on his shell, which will cool him. He likes the feel of something heavy over his back at night because I think it makes him feel safe as if he were dug in under a bush. At 17kg a small box won't do. I live in South Africa, it is Summer and I am working with what is available to me.

My boy and 11 others were confiscated from a restaurant were they were being kept behind the building in a porter pool, treading water and their own filth. 17 October 2007. They were fed all the table scraps, pig slop, from the restaurant. All of them were malnourished and in various stages of different kinds of infections and injuries. I didn't ask why they were being kept, I took them all. 7 died. I had the remaining 4, of which 1 female died 5 years ago. The remaining three males have been with me for 17 years on permit, never to be released because of the mycoplasma risk. Pippen was treated with Taziject and Flagyll for his infections back then.

Pippen's Pal

Tetracycline paste, not teramycin.
The doxy paste has arrived. Just some perspective, I measured Pip tonight 47cm in length, 34cm in width. Weight is 17.8kg. The tube says carnivore paste, a little concerned but the pharmacist knows the muti is for a tortoise and our vet placed the order. Please note, we could not find anyone who could / would provide the powder, locally. Its easier to fix a tortoise with a runny tum than a tortoise that cant breathe. Pip is the only one of my Leopards that goes into a type of 'hibernation' in winter where he doesnt move for weeks. The others still come out to bask, he doesnt. I need to get this urti under control before our cold weather starts because he ma

Attachments

• 20240215_213327_mfnr.jpg
    20240215_213327_mfnr.jpg
    566 KB · Views: 1

Pippen's Pal

The doxy paste has arrived. Just some perspective, I measured Pip tonight 47cm in length, 34cm in width. Weight is 17.8kg. The tube says carnivore paste, a little concerned but the pharmacist knows the muti is for a tortoise and our vet placed the order. Please note, we could not find anyone who could / would provide the powder, locally. Its easier to fix a tortoise with a runny tum than a tortoise that cant breathe. Pip is the only one of my Leopards that goes into a type of 'hibernation' in winter where he doesnt move for weeks. The others still come out to bask, he doesnt. I need to get this urti under control before our cold weather starts because he ma
Our vet took advice from the Ondertsepoort Vetrinary Hospital & Research facility before taking this route, so please wish us well and I will advise on Pip's progress.