Baytril Otic

Newbie Allen

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, NY
Hello All,

I recently made a visit to the vet w/ Izzy my new red foot tort (about 1-1.5 yrs old, 8 ounces) and everything checked out besides what i already expected to be this little white patch on her plastron. It turns out it is a fungus so my vet prescribed me baytril otic, use on site for 10 days and also keep her dry. Is baytril used for this particular issue, i just wanted to hear some other opinions before i begin using it.

Thanks everyone!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I wouldn't. Though Bayer mentions it is effective against fungal agents susceptible to enrofloxacin (http://www.bayerdvm.com/show.aspx/productdetail/baytril-otic). I can find no indication that either component of Baytril Otic affects fungi. Enrofloxacin and silver sulfadiazine are antibacterial agents and will not work effectively to eliminate a fungal infection. Purchase any of the athlete's foot products containing 1% clotrimazole (generic or store brand are equally as effective) and apply it to the affected area after thorough cleansing with a soft brush and mild soap on a daily basis for 7 - 10 days. You may notice an improvement within a few days but continue the treatment for at least a week.

You should also dispose of all substrate and remove any objects from the enclosure and cleanse them and the enclosure with a bleach solution. Be sure to rinse everything thoroughly after bleaching and allow them to dry completely.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello All,

I recently made a visit to the vet w/ Izzy my new red foot tort (about 1-1.5 yrs old, 8 ounces) and everything checked out besides what i already expected to be this little white patch on her plastron. It turns out it is a fungus so my vet prescribed me baytril otic, use on site for 10 days and also keep her dry. Is baytril used for this particular issue, i just wanted to hear some other opinions before i begin using it.

Thanks everyone!

Did you question your vet about their choice for that treatment?