Baytril side effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cali
I'm confused as to how the tort can get shell rot in a moist environment?! can someone answer this for me if possible...if the humidity is high, isn't that considered moist in a way? My tank says the humidity is @70 and I also have grass around the perimeter of the enclosure and I wet it if it looks dry but mostly spray it with a spray bottle. I used coconut coir without squeezing the excess water so it's damp and they seem to love it but now I'm worried about how shell rott is developed :(

Ashliewood said:
Yes she is an "extotic" vet that specializes in reptiles.

Does that count?

I don't think that counts LOL :D my vet blows and they are exotic but I have NEVER seen any exotic animals other than cats and dogs and the way my vet handles things isn't up to par with taking my tort in so I might have to look for another vet for my dogs and torts but the only thing is, I haven't found another vet around here that is retile specific. I will either have to travel or do some thorough research.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
MORTYtheTORTY said:
I'm confused as to how the tort can get shell rot in a moist environment?! can someone answer this for me if possible...if the humidity is high, isn't that considered moist in a way? My tank says the humidity is @70 and I also have grass around the perimeter of the enclosure and I wet it if it looks dry but mostly spray it with a spray bottle. I used coconut coir without squeezing the excess water so it's damp and they seem to love it but now I'm worried about how shell rott is developed :(

From what I understand, "Shellrot" (which is kind of a unofficial, and sometimes inaccurate catch-all term itself for any number of shell-related maladies) is not necessarily caused by high humidity, but by damp, overly-moist substrate. A lot of us are still trying to fine-tune how we maintain "high humidity" in our torts' enclosures, but the long and short of it is that you do not have to create a muddy, swampy substrate to raise the humidity. In fact, many people do that, having their reptiles practically living in mud, and it doesn't do a darn thing to raise humidity. That damp, swampy, moist bedding environment is what seems to cause shellrot, NOT humidity.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
StudentoftheReptile said:
MORTYtheTORTY said:

From what I understand, "Shellrot" (which is kind of a unofficial, and sometimes inaccurate catch-all term itself for any number of shell-related maladies) is not necessarily caused by high humidity, but by damp, overly-moist substrate. A lot of us are still trying to fine-tune how we maintain "high humidity" in our torts' enclosures, but the long and short of it is that you do not have to create a muddy, swampy substrate to raise the humidity. In fact, many people do that, having their reptiles practically living in mud, and it doesn't do a darn thing to raise humidity. That damp, swampy, moist bedding environment is what seems to cause shellrot, NOT humidity.

Thanks! My coir gets dry on top but moist at the very bottom so I'm thinking that's why it stays at a comfy humidity. It's not swampy or muddy-like but just looks a little damp on top and most likely at the bottom since I water the grass along the perimeter when it needs it but mostly I spray on top, I haven't sprayed in a while though so the top part is drying but the humidity on the hygrometer says 70 so I'm assuming it's good to go. I don't ever want to go through shellrot but asking just in case and was getting worried after readin this.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

In addition, it is a good idea to have a place in your enclosure that is left dry, this allows your tortoise the ability to move to a dry place to let their shell completely dry out....:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Most people tend to think that shell rot is a combo of several things acidity and high humidity tend to play factors in it. I can't take credit for that idea though I believe geo is the one that theorize that one. I honestly believe that high humidity by itself is not a cause of shell rot.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
Mmhmm It wasn't muddy, just too wet :p there was a dry side, I think that he had this going on when I first got him. I did, after all get him from a chain pet store. Should I change anything else? Any suggestions would be great ;) I just have regular dirt in there and no longer keep it any amount of wet lol, I keep it dry

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
Ashliewood said:
Mmhmm It wasn't muddy, just too wet :p there was a dry side, I think that he had this going on when I first got him. I did, after all get him from a chain pet store. Should I change anything else? Any suggestions would be great ;) I just have regular dirt in there and no longer keep it any amount of wet lol, I keep it dry

If you got him from a petstore then that mostly explains it all...did they keep him dry? I don't understand how he'd get shellrot if kept dry from the petstore, unless, like someone stated above that they fed it too much acidity maybe and a number of reasons. Do you have a pic of the shellrot? Sorry I'm on to this, it's because I keep my hatchlings @70 humidity and I'm just curious/worried now because I never really hear about shellrot :(

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
Well the people who have had torts far longer than I have just told you it wasnt necessarily from humidity. And yes I can get some pictures for you :) I was definitely keeping him too wet in his enclosure. Don't stress :)

Pictures

Attachments

• image-2646968278.png
    image-2646968278.png
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 22
  • image-109368600.png
    image-109368600.png
    1 MB · Views: 15

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
That looks crazy...never seen shellrot...thanks for sharing! :D
I was worrying myself because my fiancee messed with the enclosure and sprayed alot in there when it was already moist and the humidity went up to 80 for 2-3 days and then I read your thread so I kinda worried and I let him have it lol he doesn't take care of them and IDK what went through his head thinking to spray the enclosure...maybe he needs to put the beer down :p
It went back down to 70 today.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
And I will mention his enclosure was too wet for weeks for days :-( I am feeling guilty
But it is what it is and it's fixed now

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Now now...try to appreciate and work through the guilt feelings....put those feelings away....and make the needed tweaks as you have..treat your torts little spot(s) and you now will be in a position to offer your experience to a newbie down the road....everything we know...learn and share is a collective effort to aid in a better captive environment for our shelled friends....you know? :D

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
At least you're taking action into changing things and you actually took yours to the vet!! You are doing your job hence trial and error but that's how we all learn and Thank you again for sharing to help others in this situation or to prevent it from happening! Alot of people neglect their torts and you have taken proper steps to helping your tort get better so don't feel guilty...I would give you a pat on your back.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
All of this talk about Moisture and Humidity. I have RT's and have always kept them dry. Shouldn't Moisture/Humidity apply to the species of tortoise and where they live in nature?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it would be a good idea here to remind you all that this thread is entitled "Baytril side effects." Please keep to the topic. If you have other questions, please start a new thread. Utah Lynn, your question is timely and many newbies would benefit from the answer to it. Please start a new thread about this question.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Don't believe EVERYTHING you read.
Doc

MORTYtheTORTY said:
Ive heard bad things about baytril :( I've even read up on others stories about their tort passing due to baytril. I hope I never have to experience that! Can I ask, how did your tort get shell rot? Just asking so it may help others as well...hope your tort gets better and I know it must be hard.

oh yah...update us on the progress :)

Status
Not open for further replies.