Beak Length Question

lyingcat8

Location (City and/or State)
Indianapolis
Hi all — any concerns regarding the length of our Peb’s beak?

We have never trimmed it, and feed them on stone slate, but my husband is worried it’s getting too long

IMG_7788.jpeg

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
It is a little bit on the long side, some folks take a nail file to gently file it down, I don’t think it’s long enough to need a full on trim

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old is he?
I have had mine since 2011 and never trimmed and they are not at all needing any filing.
I do not feed on slate, and I do not cut up their food and they graze outside all summer.

lyingcat8

Indianapolis
How old is he?
I have had mine since 2011 and never trimmed and they are not at all needing any filing.
I do not feed on slate, and I do not cut up their food and they graze outside all summer.
They are 7-8. They’re really a good eater typically, but we’ve had a few days of not eating recently, and we haven’t seen them open their mouth in a few days.

Now we are seeing urates… we were not soaking as often as we should. I really hope we can turn it around. Been soaking them 2x daily, re-upped the humidity in their enclosure and hide. Just not sure how to tell if there is something going on with their jaw / beak.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are 7-8. They’re really a good eater typically, but we’ve had a few days of not eating recently, and we haven’t seen them open their mouth in a few days.

Now we are seeing urates… we were not soaking as often as we should. I really hope we can turn it around. Been soaking them 2x daily, re-upped the humidity in their enclosure and hide. Just not sure how to tell if there is something going on with their jaw / beak.
They? You have more than one and they are living as a pair? Tortoises should never live in pairs.
So there is more going on than just the question of the beak?
If you would give all details we can help much faster and better.
So now give us everything that has to do with their care? Lights, temps, heating, etc, etc. How many and what size enclosure?
Diet?
Leopards usually don't pass urates. Mine since 2011 have never passed urates.
We need ALL info

Reactions: Ink

lyingcat8

Indianapolis
They? You have more than one and they are living as a pair? Tortoises should never live in pairs.
So there is more going on than just the question of the beak?
If you would give all details we can help much faster and better.
So now give us everything that has to do with their care? Lights, temps, heating, etc, etc. How many and what size enclosure?
Diet?
Leopards usually don't pass urates. Mine since 2011 have never passed urates.
We need ALL info
No, we bought a ‘female’ and then were told it was a male, so we struggle with the pronoun still. They/them’d them. They are single, and live alone.

I just posted in the Health sub.

Reactions: Ink

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, we bought a ‘female’ and then were told it was a male, so we struggle with the pronoun still. They/them’d them. They are single, and live alone.

I just posted in the Health sub.
It's confusing when people do that, cuz we think you have more than one. He or she and you won't get the lecture of pairs. They refers to more than one.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
My leopard has passed urates once. How much calcium do you use?

lyingcat8

Indianapolis
My leopard has passed urates once. How much calcium do you use?
We had a cuttlebone in there, and he hasn’t touched it. We haven’t given him any other supplement to the normal diet. That contributes to urates? He has recently had a bunch of new growth.