Beak not "sharp"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member
Hey!
I was just wondering if the beak is supposed to be "sharp.". Woody's does not seem to cut through the leaves he eats. I shred them up so they are small pieces, but he doesn't actually bite them. He just keeps swallowing until the whole piece is gone. Is this normal? Or should he bite off his food? (Sorry if this is a silly question). His beak looks normal and he won't bite the cuttle bone to sharpen.

image-2174375912.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine kinda does not bite either really. He just keeps trying to put more of the same bite/leaf in his mouth and then will pull it or use his foot to get it off the rest of the stem or leaf, unless it breaks off on its own. Yours looks fine to me.

They kinda use their tongue more then actually bite and chew.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
He will bite with his beak when he is allowed to graze. Actually will use his beak to tear/pull up the pieces of weeds, etc.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
RE: Beak not "sharp"

Mine when he eats a leaf you hear the loudest crunch!

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member

Ok, I just wanted to check. I saw some previous threads about sharpening/trimming beaks but I didnt know if the young ones needed it too. He does try to use his claws, but I guess since there's no roots it doesn't help all that much. It is so funny to watch him eat with his tongue (thank goodness we have fingers!).
Thanks!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
trimming is done when they are overgrown. babies dont need that.. they bite, sometimes use thier legs to hold down or tear it.. sounds normal..

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Seems normal. If a leaf is fresh and "crispy" (for lack of a better word), they usually don't have any problems biting it and breaking pieces off, but normally they will bite and use their arms and neck to separate a chew-able size piece.

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member

Ok thank you. I guess I will start cutting his food into even smaller pieces so he doesn't have to work as hard. I feel like he's eating a lot more since I've been giving him greens. He's probably happier now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.