Beak trimming

Brett dee

Location (City and/or State)
South Yorkshire
Has any got some help or information about beak trimming can I do it my self (how) will it hurt my tort any advice would be appreciated

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
It will be easier to help you if you post some photos of your tortoise’s beak.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Yes, one can easily trim/file a tortoise’s beak at home as long as it’s not really really long & deformed. Very similar to trimming beaks on parrots, claws on cats & dogs. The hardest thing is holding onto a tort’s head during the process, not trimming too much at any one time.

Some people are comfortable doing this themselves, some not.

Try to take some pictures of the beak & upload here.

Ps - tell us more about your tortoise as well. 😀🐢

There are a few YouTube videos out there. Watch them all & see what works & does not work for othere.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Has any got some help or information about beak trimming can I do it my self (how) will it hurt my tort any advice would be appreciated
In addition to correcting what is wrong (the symptom), you need to discover and correct the problem that caused this issue in the first place. If your tortoise's beak is overgrown, that indicates a husbandry issue, or several. Their beaks don't over grow when things are done correctly. Here is a list of potential contributors to overgrown beaks. Go through them and eliminate the ones that don't apply, and take not of any that might apply:
1. Poor diet bought at the grocery store and not amended. This would include nutrient imbalances, as well as a lack of calcium, and lack of fiber. Kale and lettuce simply doesn't do it.
2. Inadequate supplementation routine.
3. Inadequate UV. UV sources need to be checked with a Solarmeter 6.5 at tortoise level to be sure the tortoise is getting enough, but not too much UV.
4. Small enclosure.
5. Incorrect temperatures for the species.

Read through this a couple of times, and the the correct care sheet at the bottom too for helpful info that might make you aware of problems you didn't know you had. If your tortoises beak is overgrown, you have a problem. Don't just trim the beak. Solve the problems that are causing the beak to over grow in the first place.

Brett dee

South Yorkshire
In addition to correcting what is wrong (the symptom), you need to discover and correct the problem that caused this issue in the first place. If your tortoise's beak is overgrown, that indicates a husbandry issue, or several. Their beaks don't over grow when things are done correctly. Here is a list of potential contributors to overgrown beaks. Go through them and eliminate the ones that don't apply, and take not of any that might apply:
1. Poor diet bought at the grocery store and not amended. This would include nutrient imbalances, as well as a lack of calcium, and lack of fiber. Kale and lettuce simply doesn't do it.
2. Inadequate supplementation routine.
3. Inadequate UV. UV sources need to be checked with a Solarmeter 6.5 at tortoise level to be sure the tortoise is getting enough, but not too much UV.
4. Small enclosure.
5. Incorrect temperatures for the species.

Read through this a couple of times, and the the correct care sheet at the bottom too for helpful info that might make you aware of problems you didn't know you had. If your tortoises beak is overgrown, you have a problem. Don't just trim the beak. Solve the problems that are causing the beak to over grow in the first place.
Thank you Tom your comment and care sheet info is always appreciated

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the wild tortoises don't have access to the food god/goddess, which means when they forage they have to bite mouthsfull off the plant. The act of biting when they eat causes wear on the beak, and wear keeps the beak from getting overgrown like your tortoise's. So, clip off that front part, then from now on, don't cut up his food.