Bearded Dragons

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Good to know. I presume once he comes out of brumation and since he is supposed to be 12 months if I put out greens and insects and see which one he goes for the most I will know which side of the spectrum he is on.
Its usually a challenge to make them eat their veggies. I like Chubb's strategy.

I've had to go to all sorts of lengths to get them to eat the greens at times. Some take to it easier than others.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Its ur decision.. in my 27 yrs of caring for lizards ive never had a prob.
I tend to rather err on the side of caution as fate has a tendency to bite me in the butt when I do things like that. Just what happens to me. So nothing against what you are saying just that if I say okay cool it won't happen to me, true as bob it does. It is that Leprechaun screwing with my luck. ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Never own a green iguana! Love em but hate em
Keep them correctly and healthy and they are not good pets. House and feed them poorly and they are docile and handleable. I used to rehab them... I always knew what was coming...

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I've never tried a bioactive enclosure in my bearded dragon tanks. I'm interested to see if anyone else has.

@CarolM I will tell you that neither of my beardies poops in their enclosure unless I've missed a cue and didn't get them out for a shower when they needed to go. I had to clean up plenty of baby beardie poops when they were little, but now that they've both pretty much hit full size, I rarely have to clean it out of their enclosures.
So you can potty train them.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Our beardies don't get to roam around unless very closely, attentively supervised and almost always on a leash. No diving off the edge of the bed, no ducking behind or under furniture or anywhere the primates can't reach. No missing beardies.

It would be like kitten-proofing, only significantly worse. Beardies don't land and bounce as well as kittens do, and kittens don't have to recharge their batteries under a heat lamp if they curl up in a hidden quiet spot and get cool.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Okay so, we decided to do the bio-active enclosure for Phoenix. But I was quite worried about the loose particles which would be in it etc. And as I like to do, I made a plan which I hope will sort the loose particle issue out and still allow me to have a bio-active enclosure.

So first we cleared the enclosure completely and we used silicone to glue the perspex which we needed to lput upi against the front so that the substrate does not fall out. Phoenix was put into a temporary enclosure which I had made many moons ago for my baby tortoises.:

1595424068250.png

Phoenix's temporary enclosure:
1595424202217.png

Next we lined the bottom of the cage with plastic to protect the wood. Put those clay balls and some activated charcoal (this is for any water that falls down - most probably is not necessary) and we put those garden weed liners over that - this will still allow any excess water to go through it. Then went in the soil mixture. I admit I did use bagged stuff - however they are all organic - My mixture was as follows: Rose bush mix (as it is more clay like), orchard mix, coco coir and some potting soil. I mixed it thoroughly and then put this mix over the weed liner. Cut the plastic and weed liner so that it was a nice fit.

Over the soil we put paving stones (square) however the plan was to line the whole cage with the paving stones with some gaps for the plants. But width wise two pavers did not fit. So we put what we could in, cut the grass carpet to size and put that over the soil mix in front of the cage. This way, Phoenix does not touch the soil and or eat it. There are plants planted inside. Ispods were put in by the plants so that they have the opportunity to go under the pavers and come out again to clean up at night again.

In went the rock cave and basking spot we made and a nice branch for him to climb.
1595424639615.png

He was quite happy today, exploring his new digs and climbing trees etc. Jarrod says that he jumped from the ground right to the top of his rocks at one point.

1595424751961.png

Phoenix climbing his tree: or I should rather say the Spek boom, or as you guys probably know it: Elephant Bush.

1595424820821.png

And just because I can.

1595424996189.png

And to limit any issues we would have with roaches maybe escaping him and burrowing into the substrate we will be putting them into a container and putting Phoenix in the container with them as well. That way he can eat them to his hearts content and I don't need to worry about any escaping.

I also finally got my transport permit for the Crested Gecko which I have ordered and it is supposed to be coming next week. I will update you all on the crested gecko once it arrives. However his enclosure is all sorted, ready and waiting for him.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Is anybody familiar with these UVB tubes and what are your experiences with them?

12% UVB + D3 Reptile Lamp. T8

And Any thoughts on the Deep Heat Projector?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Is anybody familiar with these UVB tubes and what are your experiences with them?

12% UVB + D3 Reptile Lamp. T8

And Any thoughts on the Deep Heat Projector?

A Deep Heat Projector like here?