Bedding/substrate

Jackf22

Location (City and/or State)
Leicestershire
Hi guys. I have a 1 year old horse field tort that currently has Coco coir for substrate but we're really struggling with fungus gnats and keeping his table clean I've been recommended herbifloor pellets could any one please advise? He loves to dig and burrow so I wasn't sure if the pellets wouldn't allow him to do this thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
"Fungus gnats" come from the surrounding environment and will colonize any substrate that is suitable for your tortoise. Herbifloor pellets are not suitable. Too dry.

I just ignore the bugs. They are harmless detrivores, and they are helping to keep the enclosure "clean" much the same way that "bio-active" substrate works. To eliminate the bugs you would have to boil, bake, freeze or replace the substrate every two weeks or so. I don't bother.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Tom except I hate the bugs too. Freezing the substrate doesn't work very good. It doesn't keep the bugs away for very long. Baking or boiling the substrate kills what is already in the substrate and helps keep them away for a lot longer. Eventually you will get them back though.
I like baking better, easier. Bake at 200-250 for 3 to 4 hours. May may need to bake longer if you use the coconut coir bricks. Loose stuff I line baking sheets with tin foil then bake. Bricks I still lay tin foil down on a cookie sheet and set the whole brick on it.