Bedding (swollen eye)

Status
Not open for further replies.

missjenny202

5 Year Member
I need some suggestions..

I own a Russian tortoise. He was given to me a few months ago, and I've been driving myself crazy trying to learn how to care for him. I've noticed that his one eye is swollen and looks painful. So, I used the Tortoise Forum's vet list and took him to Dr. Bray in Crest Hill, IL this morning. Dr. Bray did a very thorough exam and said he has a respiratory infection. We talked a long time about proper lighting, humidity, food, etc. He concluded that it's the bedding that is making him sick. Since he came with this bedding, I'm not 100% sure what it is. It's very dry and dusty. It looks like mulch with sand and topsoil mixed in. Dr. Bray said I'd be better keeping newspaper or Astro-turf in the bottom of his house. I questioned him since those 2 things do not allow for my tort to burrow. He said that's okay and not a concern at this point.

Does this sound correct? Does anyone else use newspaper or Astro-turf? I read that newspaper is a big no-no.

Thanks!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Bedding

Unfortunately, he is way off on the substrate he recommended. Now, while your tort is trying to recover, you could keep him on paper or paper towel. That way when you introduce him to a new substrate and if he has a reaction to it, you will know its the substrate and not just the continuing of the recovery. When he's all better, plain pesticide and fertilizer free dirt may be the best, seeing you don't really know what the stuff was he came with.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Bedding

Your tortoise needs humidity. Lack of humidity can cause a variety of problems both short term and over time. A substrate of 50:50 coconut coir and sand is ideal, slightly damp. They would burrow in the wild, no matter how arid the climate might seem.

Any other symptoms? I wonder why this is not considered an eye infection? What treatment is the vet using?

Are you soaking? Using eye drops?

missjenny202

5 Year Member

Vet said that humidity should be 40%. Does that sound correct?

He said that his breathing sounded liked a "clicking" sound. He said with that and the inflamed eye, it must be a respiratory infection. He gave him an antibiotic injection today. I need to continue taking him every 3rd day (I go again on Saturday) for antibiotic injections until the infection clears up. Vet said he'll need 3-5 injections. It just depends on how he's doing each time I bring him. No eye drops at this time.

I am soaking once weekly for 30-45 minutes. Should I increase? The vet didn't say I needed to but if it will help, I certainly will.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Yes, Russians don't need as high a humidity as others. 40-60 is fine. I would soak once a week, won't hurt, just be sure the water stays warm. Also, he might have a decrease in his appetite, the antibiotics will do that most of the time. Just something to expect. I would not use 50/50 myself. Sand can cause impaction. However a lesser percentage of sand to soil is fine, but plain soil is just as good.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

You're not using a coiled light are you?

After you're finished with the injections, and when you go back to the vet, ask him if he'll give you a tube of eye ointment. It helps to soothe the eye.

Adult russian tortoises don't need a very humid environment. But by the same token, being outside the tortoise would encounter a moister dirt as he digs down. When we keep them in the house on substrate, and he digs down, all he gets is dry old substrate. So, it helps to add water every so often and mix it all up, to keep the substrate way down underneath a bit moist. This also helps to keep the dust down. The substrate your tortoise came with is probably a mixture of coir and sand. This is an ok mixture. All you have to do is add some water to it and mix it all in.

missjenny202

5 Year Member
Thank you for all the help. Having a new tortoise is stressful!

Nope, not using a coiled light. I'm using a Powersun UV 100 Watt.

Thank you for the warning about decreased appetite. He didn't eat last night and I was concerned. But now I know. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.