Bedding

Seth Tyler

Ok,

So I have some confusion when getting bedding for my sulcata. I know for sure sand is a terrible substrate. I am currently using orchid Bark from ZooMed, and I have been looking into coco coir. Zoomed makes expandable coconut fiber, which I thought would be great to mix with the orchid bark for a good humid substrate. But my local pet store suggested against that. Can anyone explain to me what I should be using for my 1 year old sulcata? I feel like I get different answers from everyone, where one substrate is great to one person and terrible to the next!

Let me know as I am changing his substrate soon and want to change it up a bit and get him into the best environment that I can!

- Seth

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
People have different favourites for substrates, they tend to experiment until they find what's right for them and their tortoise.
You are right that sand is a bad idea though.
People use coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch.
What works best is really up to the individual.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
People have different favourites for substrates, they tend to experiment until they find what's right for them and their tortoise.
You are right that sand is a bad idea though.
People use coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch.
What works best is really up to the individual.
Top tip is to buy something from a garden store that has no added chemicals or "white bits"

It's so much cheaper than buying the branded tortoise product!

Seth Tyler

Top tip is to buy something from a garden store that has no added chemicals or "white bits"

I've tried to in the past, but I'm not 100% comfortable with what my local garden stores sell, a lot of it has chemicals in it, and I've tried lowes and other places like that in the past with no luck. I definitely know it's cheaper to go with bulk from garden shops, wish I had more, I also live in upstate NY, so they all shut down in the winter seasons, which makes zoomed the more accessible substrate

Seth Tyler

Coco coir "bricks" can be bought from Amazon. They're very light and don't cost a fortune in postage.

yea, that's what I was planning on doing, I feel it might be the best direction and hold the moisture better than the orchid bark I currently have.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Can't get anything guaranteed chemical free here, but we don't have the white bits.:)
Get my stuff in Spain.
Seth, I use coco coir, for what it's worth and am very happy with it, but I should say I don't have sulcatas, myself.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Seth

I am a believer in the fine grade orchid bark. My local garden center stocks it and my Home depot does as well, but some Home Depots don't carry it.

I used the coco coir previously as I thought it easier for hatchlings to walk around on, but have changed since the coco coir get so messy since we need to keep it moist. and they track it all over everything - filling the water dish and all over their food. The orchid bark is WAYYYY less messy. Holds moisture well while the top layer stays a bit drier more easily. It also does compact down nicely and I even throw in some earthworms that thrive on the left over food bits, etc. Plus the earthworms provide a bit of an occasional treat for the tortoise as most tortoises love an earthworm whenever they can find one. My Burmese Stars really love it but can rarely find one. In the wild, earthworms are one of their favorite treats whenever the rains bring them up. And in Myanmar, those worms are really big!!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
"Reptibark" is orchid bark , just more expensive than buying it somewhere in bulk . I agree with Markw84 that it is a lot neater for a little farther along Sully ! That's just my opinion ! :)

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
Yeah go with the bark....the bricks expand nice and all the added moisture is great but they are messy and little tiny flies always breed in it plus mold issues all the time!! Bark and a large plastic tub is my hero for the winter

Seth Tyler

Thanks for all the tips guys! I think for now I am going to try out the brick of coco coir and water it down and spread it out for Theo. I'm fine with messy if it helps with humidity hold, in comparison to the costly orchid bark zoomed makes, I think it's worth it. Plus I have no problems with changing his bedding out often in case of mold and flies!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks for all the tips guys! I think for now I am going to try out the brick of coco coir and water it down and spread it out for Theo. I'm fine with messy if it helps with humidity hold, in comparison to the costly orchid bark zoomed makes, I think it's worth it. Plus I have no problems with changing his bedding out often in case of mold and flies!
Pat the coir down firmly and keep it moist and it won't be too messy. (but a bit) .
I've never had insect problems with mine.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
A little late, but i use coco coir . The bricks are pretty great.
One brick i got this time had plastics in it for some reason. But the other bricks ive brought have been excellent.i also have fir bark. I like to use it on top so the moisture stays longer with the coco coir.

Mortis_thetortoise

west central Florida

agreed, at hydromasters we sell 2cubic foot bags of coir (blackgold brand) for 25 bucks. for the same price at a pet shop one would expect to get 1/3 of that if lucky

Mortis_thetortoise

west central Florida
we also sell greenhouse timers and "environmental controllers" as well would something like this be ideal to keep everything monitored easier? anyone else use something similar ?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
we also sell greenhouse timers and "environmental controllers" as well would something like this be ideal to keep everything monitored easier? anyone else use something similar ?
Yes. I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01486LZ50/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
When I bought it, the description didn't say anything about reptiles or aquariums. It said it was for seed germination. I think they changed to description after it was obvious from the reviews that people were using it for other things.