bedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

5 Year Member
i am using Zoo Med premium repti bark for my Greek Antakyan tortoise.His enclousure is indoor.I am planning on cleaning his current bedding as per instructions on the package.I am looking for a cheaper beddinng source. I was wondering what other people are using.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have heard that Repti-bark isn't good to use because they eat it and get impacted.

I like cypress mulch or orchid bark. Lots of folks here use coco-coir.

Cassidy

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I have heard that Repti-bark isn't good to use because they eat it and get impacted.

I like cypress mulch or orchid bark. Lots of folks here use coco-coir.

I have not seen any of those other beddings.Where can I find them?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Most outdoor gardening and hardware stores carry either cypress mulch or orchid bark. If you can't find either of these, hardwood mulch is fine too, just be sure there are no dyes or pesticides/chemicals. You can give it the sniff-test for chemicals if the package labeling is a bit cryptic - if it smells like wood/earth - it probably doesn't have chemicals. Give the package a good look-over before you settle on using your nose, that's more a last-ditch effort.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The coir is usually found sold in bricks, which you then place in hot water and it expands back out to regular size.

tortoise-kid

5 Year Member
For my Red Foot I use cypress mulch. I buy a HUGE bag of this at Lowes for three dollars. Its a fantastic deal. I switch it out every month or so.

M

Maggie Cummings

I use cypress mulch or orchid bark fine grade. I just pick out the poop and haven't had to switch out the subatrate in years...

Status
Not open for further replies.