Bedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
My new enclosure comes in sometime today (6 by 6 kiddy pool) and Id like bedding suggestions. Preferably something I can buy at WalMart or Lowes, the stuff sold at pet stores is so expensive. I've read sand is good, I've also read mulch is alright...or even newspaper(???). It'll be for an African Sulcata. Thanks for any educated ideas!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
NO SAND!!! Sand might cause impaction if they accidentally eat it.

I like orchid bark, fine grade, or cypress mulch. In some areas of the country you can purchase it at Lowe's, but on the West coast, its impossible to find except for in the pet stores.

I buy my orchid bark at Orchards Supply Hardware. It comes in a 2 cu. ft. bag for around $9 a bag.

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
NO SAND!!! Sand might cause impaction if they accidentally eat it.

I like orchid bark, fine grade, or cypress mulch. In some areas of the country you can purchase it at Lowe's, but on the West coast, its impossible to find except for in the pet stores.

I buy my orchid bark at Orchards Supply Hardware. It comes in a 2 cu. ft. bag for around $9 a bag.

Bought a bunch of this awhile ago, will it work?

Attachments

• 2012-05-15_10-14-30_433.jpg
    2012-05-15_10-14-30_433.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 34

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I'd Say no to tha picture, is this sulcata a baby? i believe they need high humidity? So a waterholding substrate will be the best for smooth growth!

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
No sand, You can Get coco coir, or just plain ol dirt, cypress mulch :)

KubokShin

5 Year Member
IowaGuy28 said:
My new enclosure comes in sometime today (6 by 6 kiddy pool) and Id like bedding suggestions. Preferably something I can buy at WalMart or Lowes, the stuff sold at pet stores is so expensive. I've read sand is good, I've also read mulch is alright...or even newspaper(???). It'll be for an African Sulcata. Thanks for any educated ideas!

Well since it's an African Sulcata you can try Timothy hay cut up a bit for the play side of the pen. You can also add large pepples/rocks on that side. Just make sure it's large enough that the tortoise can't swallow it. I like large rock plates, since they can grin their beak and such. On the hiding/sleeping spot you can use barks, moss or coco coir.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you haven't yet, please read the threads at the bottom of my post. They will teach you a lot on raising a healthy, smooth sulcata. They apply to hatchlings. I too, say NO to the critter stuff in the picture. NO to the paper. Coconut coir is pretty cheap, as it will last a really long time if you clean up any leftover food and poop. You will need to soak your sulcata, if it is a baby, every day. He should do his duty in the soak water, a lot of them do, which helps keep the enclosure clean. The coconut coir holds in humidity really good, which you will need humidity and it doesn't mold. I had my coir for about 9-10 months before I switched it out for new. The pool is a good idea, however, you will probably need to cover 1/2 to 3/4 of it to hold in heat and humidity.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I've used organic garden soil, which you can usually get at Walmart. My nearly yearling sulcata is currently residing outside on plain old dirt. I have used coco coir and a mix of coco and soil for other tortoises. Sand used to be common as a substrate, but there are dangers with ingestion, and it's too dry. This particular forum tends to espouse a specific high heat/high humidity method that I don't follow personally, but hatchlings do need some humidity and daily access to water. I would encourage you to look at a variety of resources to guide you.

Status
Not open for further replies.