Bedtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire, UK
Hi guys,

just wondering what time your tortoises go to bed?

I've had Shermann for 2 weeks now, he lived outside in a greenhouse previously, but I've noticed he goes to bed early. He settles down in his hide at about half 5 every day. All lamps are still on at this time, so it's not like there is a temperature drop. He is an 18 month old Hermann tortoise.

Is this 'normal'? I had the lamps set to come on 7-7, but now I turn them off earlier if he has gone to bed.

Thanks in advance.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Summer daylight hours throughout most of the northern hemisphere are about 15 hours day. Tortoises establish their routine and activities based on light duration, intensity and temperatures. Twelve hours a day of light is probably not enough and turning the lights off earlier will only decrease a tortoise's activitly level. A decreased level of light on a regular basis may cause a northern species of tortoise (which Hermann's are) to believe that it is either very early spring or more likely that fall is coming. In order for them to be correctly active during the late spring, summer and very early fall they need the correct light levels, both duration and intensity. As well as correct temperature gradients.

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
So if I put the basking/uvb light on for 15 hours, he should stay awake longer? I shall re-jig the timer!

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
Temps are 35*C basking, 20*C in the cool area. 16*C at night.

Set the lights to come on now at 6-9.

He is plenty active throughout the day though, practically runs around his enclosure and climbs over things. I love watching him!

taiuk10

5 Year Member
My Russian tortoise settle in at about 8pm but the uv light stays on till 11

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
Good to know. I gave him a bath when I got home from the gym at 7, and he stayed up a bit later than normal, so he seems to be getting used to the light hours :)

Status
Not open for further replies.