Dirty Habit

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire, UK
So my tortoise has access to the garden via a flap in his enclosure which is outside.

I've gone outside just now and caught him chowing down on a dog poo. A fresh one as I clean up after my dog every day, but sometimes I miss that he has been to the toilet.

This isn't the first time Shermann has eaten poo.

Why do they do this? He gets plenty of greens and I suppliment with pellets once or twice a week.

Just so disgusting!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Recycling. There's always some additional nutrition that was missed the first time around. Plus, the dog doesn't eat the same types of food the tortoise does, so it smell different and give them a different kind of nutrition.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It does smell but it smells like poop :) I do think it's disgusting as well but I'm not eating it and it won't hurt your tortoise as long as your dog isn't on heartworm medicine doesn't mean he should eat it but if he does generally no harm will become him

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mammal feces is one of the natural foods for at least some species of turtles and tortoise in the wild. Not unusual for them to partake in captivity if given the chance, which they shouldn't.

As David noted, some flea and tick and worming treatment can be passed in the feces and these could kill your tortoise. I would section off different areas for the tortoise and dog(s). Not only will this keep the tortoise from eating things it shouldn't, but it will protect the tortoise from the dog(s) too.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
What Tom said, big no no. Almost all monthly heartworm preventatives are excreted through the feces. Pretty much potentially fatal to tortoises.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My Tidgy likes to eat bird pooh, if she can find some.
it's most annoying trying to remove them all from her areas.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What Tom said, big no no. Almost all monthly heartworm preventatives are excreted through the feces. Pretty much potentially fatal to tortoises.
Boy! That's something I didn't know. Thanks.
I was just going to ad that tortoise poo is also something that dogs like to eat. It'll turn into a nasty orgy of recycling if you don't stay on top of things.:eek: