Beech chips as substrate??

Billy_Perry

In my tortoise enclosure I have beech chips as substrate. My tortoise is a hermanns tortoise who is roughly a year old. We have had him now for about 2 weeks. I just wanted some reassurance that this substrate is appropriate. We own the finer type chips.

Thanks in advance
Billy Perry

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Soil is better. Wood chips don't absorb water very well so when they pee it doesn't dry up for days.
Also torts like dig and hide themselves under their substrate as it helps with humidity and temperature and with wood chips that's not possible

Billy_Perry

Thanks for your reply, I will take that into account and possibly change within the next few months!!

Billy Perry

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
Thanks for your reply, I will take that into account and possibly change within the next few months!!

Billy Perry
In addition to my initial response soil is what they have in the wild and it's much more comfortable for them so the sooner you change the better

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Previous replies were very restrained. It's a terrible substrate. Good thing you checked! Toss it in your compost pile and get the good stuff as soon as possible. Do not wait months. That's months of too much dryness or of rot and mold.

Billy_Perry

Thanks for all your replies is there any particular soil that you would recommend

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I too advice you to use soil. Please read the care sheets which are of help.

And a warm welcome to the forum....you got to the right place for help.

Good luck to you and your tort.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Coconut coir is best.

I prefer coconut coir mixed with finished compost from my garden.

You need to have a moist substrate. That flowery product isn't it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.u...mix-1kg---bedding-food-free-post-1-7433-p.asp

Is this a good idea, or is soil still best because it is natural

Thanks again

No. That is not a good substrate. You need something that can be kept moist to give your growing baby some humidity. Can't keep food or wood chips damp.

Also, I don't recommend "soil" for two reasons. 1. Its very messy. It makes mud when wet. 2. We don't know what it is. Its a mixture of composted stuff, but what stuff? Is it composted toxic oleander? Azaleas? Maybe, maybe not. Why chance it?

The best substrate for small testudo species is coco coir. Make a thick layer, hand pack it down, and keep it damp by dumping in water as needed. You should also be providing a humid hide on the warm side of your enclosure.

Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And don't let the pet shop talk you into that "Pets at Home" substrate with the limestone bits in it. Next to the beechwood chips, it seems that is the most popular substrate over there. Its a terrible idea to encourage tortoises to eat their substrate every time they have a calcium craving...

Billy_Perry

Hi all,

Thanks for your help I have now recently changed the substrate over to coco coir however I have noticed my tortoise sometimes tries to eat it. I have heard of the term "soil eater" but never coco coir eater. What can I do to stop this, or is this just fine and will be no harm to my tortoise.

Thanks again

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,

Thanks for your help I have now recently changed the substrate over to coco coir however I have noticed my tortoise sometimes tries to eat it. I have heard of the term "soil eater" but never coco coir eater. What can I do to stop this, or is this just fine and will be no harm to my tortoise.

Thanks again

Not good. This usually happens for one of two reasons.
1. Are you using any colored bulbs, like infra-red heat lamps?
2. What do you feed? People who feed a lot of lettuce and grocery store foods tend to see more of this.

In any case, substrate eating can't be allowed to go on. Make sure your tortoise has several plates of good food and make sure the food has a high fiber content, like weeds and leaves. Add grasses or some soaked ZooMed Grassland food if you can't find good weeds and leaves to feed.

If these things don't curb the problem, you will need to swap out to a different substrate.

Billy_Perry

Thanks again Tom

My problem seems to be have been solved almost instantly, I just wanted to know if it was safe to digest little bits as he does tend to trample the coco through his food dish a bit. I think my original wording was completely wrong he has never tried to eat the substrate straight only if his food is out of his dish then he wont mind having a mouthful of food followed by a bit of substrate. If that makes sense

Thanks again