Been busy with new creation!

ohio

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NEOhio
Hey everyone, I did it! Decided on a new pair of eastern Hermanns torts. Getting them through ATC and already placed my order. Very excited! So with new arrivals coming I've been busy. My wife is not as big as a tortoise fanatic like me but she puts up with my madness. So to please her I'm trying to get rid of some of the tortoise tables in the family room. Here is some pics of my new indoor enclosures to house my Marginated, Hermanns, and Russians. Only have two mostly done still need plywood for the top. All the wood I used was reclaimed or left overs from other projects. Also going to line the bottom with some linoleum
IMG_20180213_103113.jpg
IMG_20180213_171937.jpg
IMG_20180215_115427.jpg
IMG_20180215_155939.jpg

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Awesome! I was in Dayton until a year or so ago! I got my tortoises with the understanding that I'd be moving south soon...might you have the same idea? Having them in Ohio was kind of a pain. I don't need lights here. They're outside full time now in 1000 sq ft pens...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Awesome! I was in Dayton until a year or so ago! I got my tortoises with the understanding that I'd be moving south soon...might you have the same idea? Having them in Ohio was kind of a pain. I don't need lights here. They're outside full time now in 1000 sq ft pens...
It can be done just as good in the north.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Going to stay up north. Planted roots and love the season. Sticking with the testudo lines so I can hibernate them over the harsh winter. Have a refrigerator dedicated just for it. A lot of moving in and out in the spring and fall. They get to spend summer outside. I do have a nice barn that I may insulate a room with heater but that's not for awhile. Have three tortoise tables and would use kiddie pools under those. Now they get a full eight feet by three and a half feet. Getting excited about my new arrivals should be here today by 4:30pm. Yeah!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Going to stay up north. Planted roots and love the season. Sticking with the testudo lines so I can hibernate them over the harsh winter. Have a refrigerator dedicated just for it. A lot of moving in and out in the spring and fall. They get to spend summer outside. I do have a nice barn that I may insulate a room with heater but that's not for awhile. Have three tortoise tables and would use kiddie pools under those. Now they get a full eight feet by three and a half feet. Getting excited about my new arrivals should be here today by 4:30pm. Yeah!
The seasons ARE really nice but I got tired of being snowed in so the hard part of winter sucked. I DON'T miss that. There are pluses and minuses to everything. For instance all the in and out with the tortoises I don't have to do here and I'm getting older where carrying them back and forth was not fun and actually kind of dangerous for them. I actually have to carry him back and forth a little bit here in the heavy winter where it gets down to 30 and 40 on those weird days. I actually dropped one of them. So glad I don't have to do that very often.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
I use a laundry basket to move them in and out. lol Got my new Hermanns tortoises, cute little girl and boy. I'll call her Sonja and him Khan. The wife said I can keep the upstairs tables until I wake everyone up from hibernation so I split the middle enclosure for the new Hermanns and the one Russian that I have awake.
IMG_20180216_155147.jpg
And instead of linoleum on the bottom I used a tarp. Didn't want to spend the $45.00 per enclosure level. $135.00 for crappy linoleum or $5 for the tarp that I cut in half.