tortoise table

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxDarkEuphoriaxX

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I am building a big 6 foot by 33" tortoise table out of high quality plywood and 2x4's and anyway I am trying to figure out what to line it with (the inside) so that It will be able to be a little moist without rotting out the plywood... My dad was going to get some type of plexyglass to glue down to the interior, maybe linoleum, or something, idk.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Photo 27.jpg
    Photo 27.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 127

LindaF

5 Year Member
On turtletary.com you can get instructions on how to line with linoleum.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
What kind of tort is this for? Linoleum gets destroyed fairly quickly with "digger" torts.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Oh good, redfoots aren't really diggers.

Linoleum works well with my redfoot. IMO linoleum would look better than plexiglass as well. The redfoots site tells you how to lay it in easily and with minimal cutting, but if your dad is handy he can just put the linoleum down so it's flush in the corners. You just cut the size you need, then glue it down using 100% silicon from Home Depot and then use the same silicon to seal the edges and corners. When you're done it should look pretty slick and it will be 100% waterproof. It's really quite easy and anybody who has used glue and a sheetrock knife can make it look great without much hassle.

XxDarkEuphoriaxX

5 Year Member
Indiana
so it is cut and folded up the sides of the interior of the enclosure? And glued to the sides and bottom...then silicone is ran on all the corners? I am wanting to put some type of aluminum trim or something on the top so it looks all professional and held down. I thought about using wood trim but am re-thinking that idea for the top (where the top of the plywood will be exposed) for aluminum or similar non rusting trim of some shape or kind.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Sorta. That's the way redfoots says to do which is probably easier. However, I couldn't get it to lay flush in the corners so I did the linoleum like this. No folding involved.

DSCF0682.jpg

TortTableRepair001.jpg

Hopefully that gives you a better idea of what I mean. Ignore those two circles. Those are repair that I did to the linoleum after my russians dug through it .

The edges are actually where two seperate pieces match up. So for mine I had to cut out 5 pieces before I put it all together. Mind you, it's difficult to get the sizing just right, so I suggest cutting things a little big and then trimming it down edge by edge as you install it if it doesn't fit. Once you cut it too small you have to throw it out. It won't work for you anymore.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
XxDarkEuphoriaxX said:
I am building a big 6 foot by 33" tortoise table out of high quality plywood and 2x4's and anyway I am trying to figure out what to line it with (the inside) so that It will be able to be a little moist without rotting out the plywood... My dad was going to get some type of plexyglass to glue down to the interior, maybe linoleum, or something, idk.

What do you guys think?

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I had planned on lining mine redfoot enclosure with lineoleum, but as I'd made it with exterior grade plywood and sealed it all with several coats of exterior grade spar varnish I decided to skip the linoleum, and have had no problems, knock on wood.

http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-New-Indoor-Home-for-Redfoot

Another thing I've seen folks use is shower pan liner

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

And other folks swear by FRP

http://www.homedepot.com/Lumber-Com...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

But really any method will work. What I like about my method is I don't have to worry about what happens if water soaks in behind the linoleum/frp/liner or whatever.

Swimming pool epoxy would probably be good too.

With any of these methods make sure to give the enclosure a good long time to cure before occupying, until all the chemical odor is gone.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
check out parkland plastic (duro thermlite) I get it at menards in IL located where wall paneling is.
Its corrugated plastic. easy to cut and believe it is food grade approved and should give you a little insulation value. Sheets are 4 x 8 ft. I have both of my redfoot enclosures lined with it bottom & sides and after 3 years it still looks new. very easy to clean also.

Status
Not open for further replies.