Beetles in Sulcata burrow (and not John Paul George or Ringo)

ThomasGVAZ

Location (City and/or State)
Golden Valley, Arizona
My 7 year old Sulcata lives in a burrow she dug in her enclosure. It's about 3 ft. deep and roughly 3'x3' at the end. I uncovered it and framed solid walls and floor so she wouldn't dig any further and put a hinged top so I can check on her and clean it out. Early this morning it started raining so what I usually do is place a tarp over it. I opened the top to check on her and there were beetles scattering all over the inside, dozens of them. You don't notice anything during the day. My question, are they harmful in any way to the tortoise? In the wild they must encounter all kinds of insects. Should I try to get rid of them? And how would I get rid of them? Would food grade Diatomaceous Earth get rid of them and if so is it safe for the tortoise? I am currently building a house for her that will be above ground so it will be easier to control any insects but that's still a few weeks away before it's ready.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Lol funny title
Do you know what kind of beetles?
Not likely will hurt your tortoise, but it might depend on the kind. I never knew crickets could do damage on a reptile until I got into owning lizards years ago.
Food grade Diatomaceous earth could be used if you can put it around the outside of the hide where the tortoise can't actually get to it or breathe it.
Not sure if that would keep the bugs out though.