Beginner Set Up Advice

LNorton

Location (City and/or State)
Telford
Hi folks,

Apologies for the long post, would appreciate any advice from more experienced Russian owners.

I've spent the last month or so reading through as much of the information in these forums as I possibly can, as well as watching YouTube videos and browsing other websites and forums. I've found there to be a lot of conflicting information dependant on where you look but have found the information posted by more experienced members of this forum to be the most valuable.

I purchased a Russian from a local pet shop (UK) just less than a week ago, they tell me he is around 2.5 years old, he weighs 94g's and appears to be happy enough. Based on what I've read on this forum the pet shop gave me pretty sound advice.

I've set him up in a 2ft Vivarium with plans to transfer him to a table/larger vivarium once he's closer to full size. I'm using a substrate mixture of Coco coir and orchid bark and have a UVB and heat lamp set up (photo attached will show what I have better than I can describe). His bulbs are set to a smart plug that's on a 12 hour timer 8:00 - 20:00. Temps seem to drop to around 20 degrees during the night and they sit (on the heated side) at around 31 degrees. (I'm waiting on delivery of a hygrometer/thermometer so I can try and regulate the cooler side of the viv more effectively).

I've been feeding him a mixture of rocket, a smaller amount of kale, a few dandelion pellets and shaving some carrot (carrots every few days). I also sprinkle calcium powder on his food every other day. I've began growing my own dandelions and pansies, they're on the way but conditions in the UK aren't ideal at the moment.

I've been letting him have a wonder round the spare room daily for around 15 minutes for exercise and bathing him every other day In lukewarm water for around 15 mins, he seems to take this as his opportunity to do his business, which is good I believe.

I'd really appreciate any advice on my initial set up so I can be sure I'm giving him the best home possible and allow him to grow into a healthy adult.

Thanks for reading!

Luke

Attachments

• 20201020_124944.jpg
    20201020_124944.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
At first glance your Russian appears fully grown so the age of 2.5 years may just be a guess unles he was captive born. The substrate is good and nice clay pot and slate! The size should be bigger they love to walk around and patrol, but should not wind up on the floor since they could be stepped on or eat and unseen object or hair. As far as the soaks you should be using a laser thermometer to set your soak temperature since for me lukewarm is about 115 F (46C). The heat bulb looks like an MVB and the are bad, bad, bad. Get a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emmiter) are plug it into a thermostat so you can set and control the temp. THis is a good picture guide for feeding. The carrots are no good as they have too much sugar more leafy greens and weeds. Good Luck
1603198559866.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi folks,

Apologies for the long post, would appreciate any advice from more experienced Russian owners.

I've spent the last month or so reading through as much of the information in these forums as I possibly can, as well as watching YouTube videos and browsing other websites and forums. I've found there to be a lot of conflicting information dependant on where you look but have found the information posted by more experienced members of this forum to be the most valuable.

I purchased a Russian from a local pet shop (UK) just less than a week ago, they tell me he is around 2.5 years old, he weighs 94g's and appears to be happy enough. Based on what I've read on this forum the pet shop gave me pretty sound advice.

I've set him up in a 2ft Vivarium with plans to transfer him to a table/larger vivarium once he's closer to full size. I'm using a substrate mixture of Coco coir and orchid bark and have a UVB and heat lamp set up (photo attached will show what I have better than I can describe). His bulbs are set to a smart plug that's on a 12 hour timer 8:00 - 20:00. Temps seem to drop to around 20 degrees during the night and they sit (on the heated side) at around 31 degrees. (I'm waiting on delivery of a hygrometer/thermometer so I can try and regulate the cooler side of the viv more effectively).

I've been feeding him a mixture of rocket, a smaller amount of kale, a few dandelion pellets and shaving some carrot (carrots every few days). I also sprinkle calcium powder on his food every other day. I've began growing my own dandelions and pansies, they're on the way but conditions in the UK aren't ideal at the moment.

I've been letting him have a wonder round the spare room daily for around 15 minutes for exercise and bathing him every other day In lukewarm water for around 15 mins, he seems to take this as his opportunity to do his business, which is good I believe.

I'd really appreciate any advice on my initial set up so I can be sure I'm giving him the best home possible and allow him to grow into a healthy adult.

Thanks for reading!

Luke
This is a good first effort. Here are my suggestions:

I like to soak daily until they surpass 100 grams. You are close to that, so not a big deal, but more soaking doesn't hurt, and it keeps the enclosure cleaner.

You UV tube is way too close to the tortoise and it should be overhead, not on the side. What type of bulb is it?

Never let the tortoise loose on the floor. This almost always ends in disaster eventually.

The enclosure is too small. Quadruple that size would be adequate for a 94 gram tort. Torts need a lot of floor space in their enclosures. Much more than some other reptile species.

Here is all the most current and correct care info:

LNorton

Telford
At first glance your Russian appears fully grown so the age of 2.5 years may just be a guess unles he was captive born. The substrate is good and nice clay pot and slate! The size should be bigger they love to walk around and patrol, but should not wind up on the floor since they could be stepped on or eat and unseen object or hair. As far as the soaks you should be using a laser thermometer to set your soak temperature since for me lukewarm is about 115 F (46C). The heat bulb looks like an MVB and the are bad, bad, bad. Get a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emmiter) are plug it into a thermostat so you can set and control the temp. THis is a good picture guide for feeding. The carrots are no good as they have too much sugar more leafy greens and weeds. Good Luck
View attachment 309369

Thanks for the response, really appreciate the help! The picture guide is very helpful.

I think the picture I posted may be slightly misleading, he's 94g and his shell length is just less than 3 inches so not quite full grown yet I don't think? I'll start shopping for a larger vivarium!

I also should have explained myself a little better, when I say he's wondering round the spare room I mean I sit on the floor with him to stop anything happening or him hiding away somewhere, I'll look at getting something to let him wonder in to avoid him eating hairs or anything, thanks!

I'll make sure to invest in a laser thermometer too, I've attached a picture of the bulb I'm using (recommended by the pet shop) I think it is an MVB? Are these the CHE's you're referring to? https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/ar...wNCjMgOEJrL_j7zoRVZC0hoCAkEQAvD_BwE#product-1

I do already have a thermostat set up, too.

Again, really appreciate the help.

Attachments

• 16032017195002493026860853437380.jpg
    16032017195002493026860853437380.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

LNorton

Telford
This is a good first effort. Here are my suggestions:

I like to soak daily until they surpass 100 grams. You are close to that, so not a big deal, but more soaking doesn't hurt, and it keeps the enclosure cleaner.

You UV tube is way too close to the tortoise and it should be overhead, not on the side. What type of bulb is it?

Never let the tortoise loose on the floor. This almost always ends in disaster eventually.

The enclosure is too small. Quadruple that size would be adequate for a 94 gram tort. Torts need a lot of floor space in their enclosures. Much more than some other reptile species.

Here is all the most current and correct care info:

Thanks for the response! I'll give him a soak daily, like you said, more soaking won't hurt.

I believe this is bulb the pet shop gave me, they recommended it be placed there as they don't emit enough UV at longer distances? I'll get it moved to the top!
https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/ko...4Jkq0kDUw6Sdw6gbvycOrUN6QYfG5baRoCrUgQAvD_BwE

As I said above, I should have explained myself a little better, when I say he's wondering round the spare room I mean I sit on the floor with him to stop anything happening or him hiding away somewhere, I'll look at getting something to let him wonder in to avoid him eating hairs or anything, thank you.

I'll start shopping for a bigger vivarium, too.

Again, thanks for the response!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Yep th
Thanks for the response, really appreciate the help! The picture guide is very helpful.

I think the picture I posted may be slightly misleading, he's 94g and his shell length is just less than 3 inches so not quite full grown yet I don't think? I'll start shopping for a larger vivarium!

I also should have explained myself a little better, when I say he's wondering round the spare room I mean I sit on the floor with him to stop anything happening or him hiding away somewhere, I'll look at getting something to let him wonder in to avoid him eating hairs or anything, thanks!

I'll make sure to invest in a laser thermometer too, I've attached a picture of the bulb I'm using (recommended by the pet shop) I think it is an MVB? Are these the CHE's you're referring to? https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/ar...wNCjMgOEJrL_j7zoRVZC0hoCAkEQAvD_BwE#product-1

I do already have a thermostat set up, too.

Again, really appreciate the help.
Yep that is the CHE although if you use amazon they have regular non-reptile branded for much less like 2 for the price of yours. Get a foldable dog exercise pen for use out in the grass, it takes just a minute to setup and it can be on a new spot everytime or in the same spot without leaving a structure up. The idea here is that the tortoise will be more restless inside the structure they are housed in if they are allowed these forays out into the room once in a while. It will cause them to scratch at the sides almost incessenlty trying to get out to go to the other space. Imagine living in a cramped studio apartment and your family gives you a giant loft but after a month they take away and wont say why! Adult Russians are one of the few torts that could live in a tortoise table as adults so just another option for you.

LNorton

Telford
Yep th

Yep that is the CHE although if you use amazon they have regular non-reptile branded for much less like 2 for the price of yours. Get a foldable dog exercise pen for use out in the grass, it takes just a minute to setup and it can be on a new spot everytime or in the same spot without leaving a structure up. The idea here is that the tortoise will be more restless inside the structure they are housed in if they are allowed these forays out into the room once in a while. It will cause them to scratch at the sides almost incessenlty trying to get out to go to the other space. Imagine living in a cramped studio apartment and your family gives you a giant loft but after a month they take away and wont say why! Adult Russians are one of the few torts that could live in a tortoise table as adults so just another option for you.

Perfect, thank you. Appreciate the advice