bells hingeback or greek tortoise

jawdanf22

Hi
im new here
and I was just wondering whether a bells hinge back would be better for a beginner than a Greek tortoise?
and also how many of them could you keep in a 6x2 tortoise table.
and are there any good caresheet links?
thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I don't know much about the hingebacks, however, the best recommended for beginners are Russians, Greeks and Hermanns.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I've never thought of the hingeback species as being 'beginner' tortoises. I think you'd do better to get the Greek. That species would be more forgiving of poor or incorrect care while you are learning.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Yes please don't buy a hingeback as your first tortoise. The tortoise and you won't be happy :)

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Greek tortoise are more forgiving when it comes to the environment ^_^ they are made like a tank and great for beginners! You ask about how many you can keep, I say one! only reason why is if your not experienced, you'll freak if something is to happen. Tortoise are hardy...

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Yvonne is correct (as always [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]).

Hingebacks are definitely not a beginner tortoise....unless you really want to put a lot of time and effort and money into building a warm and humid closed chamber, and living with a generally shy tortoise (especially as juveniles). I plan to get one eventually, still doing my homework on them. They are, as stated, not as forgiving with enclosure "architecture", microclimates, food and handling like Greeks. (Hingeback experts, correct me if I am wrong, this is what I've read and observed).

With that said, I have a Jordanian Greek. He is very outgoing, loves scratches and rubs, eats everything put in front of him, and can handle varying temps and humidity in stride. I was going to adopt him out as part of my rescue org., but honestly, he's such a dog of a tortoise, he's turned into my little buddy! Love the personalities on these guys.

I'm planning to buy another Greek from GBTortoises here on TFO. He produces incredible quality. I'm on a waiting list for a black Greek, and I can't wait!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Bells hingebacks were my first tortoises and they did very well for me. I even had several clutches from them. My hingebacks contrary to the popular misbelief are very outgoing and not shy in the least. Much more personalable then my Greeks. The Bells do not need the high humidity, that is more for the Erosa and Homes hingebacks.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Should be fine if both are females. Males are very territorial. I own Iberas and i love em to death!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, but I think a 6'x2' table would house a single Greek nicely. Tortoises are not herd animals, and they like to be the king of their territory...chasing any interlopers out. If you set them up outside its a whole 'nother ball game, but indoors, only one per table is a good rule to follow.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Hingebacks aren't actually that hard. The main problem people have with them is diet-and acclimatization if fresh WC.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Im assuming your shooting for hatchlings. What Yvonne G. said is true you wouldnt want to house 2 adults in there but Hatchlings should be fine. You'll want a bigger enclosure once they reach full grown or even juvenile stage. If your looking for breeders, check out http://www.tortoisesupply.com/ ^_^v