Best breed for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fannysyaaunt21

5 Year Member
Can anyone recommend which breed would be suitable for me.
I live in the uk and have plenty of house and garden space. There are so many books and articles about the different breeds and I find some contradict each other. it will be my first one as a pet. thankseachother

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
fannysyaaunt21 said:
Can anyone recommend which breed would be suitable for me.
I live in the uk and have plenty of house and garden space. There are so many books and articles about the different breeds and I find some contradict each other. it will be my first one as a pet. thankseachother

Popular there in Great Britain seems to be the Hermann's and the various Greeks...most of my tortoise-loving Brit friends have at least one of one or the other.

Excellent "starter' tortoise, as is the Stepppe tortoise...which is to say, not to difficult to keep healthy for many years. :)

And welcome to our little slice of chelonian/chelonophile heaven! :cool:

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
What Type of tortoise …………..

This is a simple questioner to determine what type of tortoise is best for you and your family .. These are just some ideas to get the ball rollin’ . And actually the list could go on for a long time …..and more detailed.
How large of tortoise would you like ….. When full grown~
Size-
6-12”
12-18”
18”-over
Do you want a tortoise that Hibernates or active year round ( if provided the right elements) ?
Remember they can disappear for 4 months ….
Also usually extreme diggers … up to 10 foot or greater tunnels!
Can be housed in NON water/damp proof area .. Ex. DOGLOO … or Wood dog house .
Where do you plan to keep it ? A closet, your room … , the garage … “ no car fumes” … .. Outdoors?.

Do you want a tortoise that needs heat at day/night times .. When we hit the 60’s or lower? … Even during the day .. If extreme cold front or location where you live in .

If outdoors you will need a “ tortoise house” .. safe from .. Dogs , birds , possums .. Ect .. Plus it helps aid in a “ constant warm safe area” .. easily checked on.
Key * …. Tortoises are thought to be slow and awkward .. .. But very cleaver .. Actually .. faster than you think!!! .. One phone call with the gate open .. And its .. Bye bye tort ! ( I know this from experience… *grin* ) … … They have radar for open gates … and low/high… spots under fences .. Ect.

How about foods? …
Do you want to be able to hit the grocery store once a week for foods .. Grow your own? .. You would need to collect .. Natural foods .. Such as hibiscus, ,… cactus .. (these also can be bought) .. Dandelion greens .. Ect. Also .. There is a tort supplement that is regularly fed too * MAZURI*.! .. Even some species .. accept grubs, pinkie mice, baby chicks very readily and are high protein but not more than one feeding per week. Most torts .. Also need a Calcium supplement.. That is sprinkled 1-3 times a week on food .. ( depending on age, environment kept in ect. ) …

*** SPACE *** = Key factor

Indoors ..( such as a tort table / or large aquarium “ .. One can “ fake” .. mother nature and torts will do well but will also need regular sunshine and taken outdoors to graze… , Indoors also has its advantages …at the same time , Its much easier to control the elements, also for viewing during the winter months ..

How about colors ….. Exotic … Plain … In-between …? ..
Designs … Patterns ? …
How about a cross between a tortoise and water turtle aka “Box turtle” ? …

.. Make some notes… after some of the questions above .. .. And think it over .

Outdoor safety… Security from predators’ , thieves and exposure to the elements.

.. Reminder ..
Some torts .. Will require Permits ( if known about .. Ex. Word of mouth )
.. And if known about .. By nosey/disruptive neighbors .. can be a bummer, getting ripped off or .. even lead to fines… Also if the critter gets out .. Its hard to post a “ LOST” .. AD .. On a Illegally owned tort ..
Although .. With some mumbo jumbo paperwork can be easily obtained and a small fee .. Through the DFG

Happy Tort Hunting ...
JD~:)

Status
Not open for further replies.