Best enclosure for sulcata??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataliaxx3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
SOOOOOOOO....from my personal research I have brought it down to two choices for a hatchling.

Either a rubbermaid container for the first year, or just building an enclosure that would support a tort for atleast 3 years. (5 is what im hoping for)

I noticed a forum on here discussing the benefits of just using a rubbermaid container and the points made were very good. (for some reason I can't find it right now. It had pictures of tupperware in it if anyone knows which thread I am referring to)

What does everyone use for their hatchlings, taking into account the humidity control, temp, etc. ?

suggestions? arguments? Let me know!

-Natalia:tort:

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
I have two hatchlings in a tub like enclosure. I recently posted pics in a thread if you look at my past postings. use a good substrate like Eco Earth, Cypress mulch or even top soil. Stay away from Sand and hays thats can mold. include a hiding spot, and a water dish big enough to soak in if they want.

the amount of time they spend inside is up to you, as long as you are thinking longterm with them going outside. after a few years they should be able to be outside full time.

Last I'll say that a tub is a cheap and effective choice and I recommend them.

marty_the_lemur

5 Year Member
well for me a rubbermaid box just did not seem good enough. i made him a nice table. i think it meets every need he could need and it will last me for a wile atleast 3 yers till he gets to big. i'll post a pic for you. if i can find out how hmm...

marty_the_lemur said:
well for me a rubbermaid box just did not seem good enough. i made him a nice table. i think it meets every need he could need and it will last me for a wile atleast 3 yers till he gets to big. i'll post a pic for you. if i can find out how hmm...

my table

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    759.7 KB · Views: 108

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I keep all of mine in rubbermaid tubs during the winter months, extremely easy to keep all the humidity in the tub, and they're very cheap enclosures.

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
I keep mine in a tub that's like 4ft by 1.5/2 ft and if it gets super dirty I just dump out the substrate outside wash it, dry it and I'm done plus they are very cheap and durable

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tables look nice, but does not hold humidity. A tub is cheap and you can add a second for more room if needed or wanted. The best is what's best for the tort. Which is a higher humidity to grow healthy and smooth and a tub easily gets that done better then a table.

nataliaxx3

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Awesome, Thanks! Do any of you cover it up a little to help with humidity? or like cut holes in the actual cover and add a screen?

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I like the tubs myself. With the under the bed ones it is very easy for the humidity and heat.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
If you want him to be comfy indoors for five years, you're going to need to provide him with at least half a room...somewhere in the ballpark of 8 x 12 minimum! A table isn't gonna do for a sully at 5 years. You may need to go in steps...say a 4 x 8 closed chamber for starters. High temps and humidity settings are going to be crucial if he's not going to be housed outside at all! Remember...any humidity at all is going to require temps to be at least 80F...and that's the cool area.

Good luck!

danosaurous

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
My sully is in two 55 gallon Rubbermaid bins (for the winter months) I cut a side off and sealed them together. Works great, plenty if room (for now) :p

M

Maggie Cummings

I like using aquariums. You can maintain a better control over the heat and humidity and you can see the tort inside just looking across the room. I like to just glance and see what they are doing. There are some that will tell you aquariums are bad, you just need to be careful you don't cook them...

80zthomas

5 Year Member
Vacaville, Ca
If that's your UVB light that's angled it should be hung straight down to get the best possible UVB out of your bulb. But overall awesome enclosure did you build it yourself?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You will get the best results, use the least electricity, and have the easiest time maintaining good conditions and temps if you use a closed chamber with the heating and lighting elements inside. If you start with a healthy, well hydrated baby, you will be lucky to get two winters out of a 4x8' enclosure. If you feed him light, or get a poorly started one, you might get three winters, but that's all just a guess since they grow at different rates. I have two groups of babies going right now. They are in 4x8' closed chambers and I think they will have to move outside in the spring. They will all likely be over 1000 grams at their first birthday.

Sulcatas are just not a very good indoor species for most people.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I would listen to Tom, he is the sulcata expert. He has so much experience and has earned and deserves his reputation. I always recommend anyone to listen to Tom if they are new to Sulcatas, like myself.:)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Here is a neat~O sullie enclosure.....aka " Harleys Hut"
p1010416_zps2be68c3e.jpg
p1010405_zps12f12455.jpg
including his own " fishing hole" ;)

P1010107.jpg

JD~:shy:

Carlos83

5 Year Member
Fontana CA
4x4x3 Heat rope from big apple pet supply and a Closed Chambered works great for me:cool:

IMAG2342.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.