Best friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TragicQuietus

5 Year Member
I have a 2 inch baby hermanns in a large indoor habitat. Since i got her my cat (a 6year old Maine coon) has taken to sleeping against the side of Gameras Habitat. I assumed it was due to the heat lamp. Gamera on the other hand has been known to intentionally make her way to whatever side the cat is against and sleep there. I have never let them have actual contact and the cat has never made any attempt to paw at or even seem to take notice of the little living tank that follows him about.

A while ago my cat woke me up just howling. Slightly annoyed I went to see if the water dish was empty. When I did he ran up to Gameras habi and started howling louder. Gamera had turned herself upside down. I fixed the issue, praised the cat, and he went back to sleeping beside his pal. Gamera right away went scampering to his side. To this day, through the glass, they are inseparable.

T

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Yeah, that may be, but don't ever underestimate your cats intentions and assume that it wants to be "friends" with your tortoise. Your cat sees a small creature that could be potential prey, not a friend.

TragicQuietus

5 Year Member
No worries. I'll never let them in direct contact. I know it could very well be prey drive that lead the cat to get my attention, but it sure sounds cute. And to be honest, regardless of why, I'm very glad the cat lets me know Gamera is in trouble. She's my baby after all.

zoe roberts

5 Year Member
London
TragicQuietus said:
No worries. I'll never let them in direct contact. I know it could very well be prey drive that lead the cat to get my attention, but it sure sounds cute. And to be honest, regardless of why, I'm very glad the cat lets me know Gamera is in trouble. She's my baby after all.

Ha ha! What a sweet story. I'm going to tell the children in my class, even if the cat had an ulterior motive, still funny!

Alexx

5 Year Member
Aww what cuties :) my cat heard my tortoise moving in his enclosure had a little nose then forgot all about him :)

TragicQuietus

5 Year Member
Cute aside, anyone have any idea why Gamera has such an unnatural attraction to the cat?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
TragicQuietus said:
Cute aside, anyone have any idea why Gamera has such an unnatural attraction to the cat?

Hard to know for sure, but one of our four(!) cats, "Sourpuss", likes to sleep in my tort's inside enclosure, and gets protective if one of the other cats or dogs gets too close...and the torts tend to burrow into the cypress mulch around her sleeping body, while in there, but sleep in their hidey box when she's not...possibly she puts out some decent heat, herself.

Not sure why the five of them get along so well, but none harm the others.

Mary Ellen

5 Year Member
Thanks for sharing that cute story. I really think your cat knew Gameras was in trouble and alerted you. I wish you'd post a picture of your cat and tortoise together with the glass between them.

TragicQuietus

5 Year Member
hah tempting. but that would show off how sadly overweight my cat is, even for a' coon. I would like to post pics of Gamera tho. I just noticed some new growth and want to know if it's forming ok due to the bad scar.

Status
Not open for further replies.