1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Best lighting

Discussion in 'Tortoise Product Reviews' started by Linda and Mark, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Linda and Mark

Linda and Mark New Member

i am looking for advice for the best heat and uv lighting to use, have been using one that does both which I have been happy with so was also wondering the best place to buy them, thank you in advance!
  2. lismar79

lismar79 Well-Known Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I think it depends on what type of set up and tort. I have a powersuns in for my sulcata and Russian but have tube fluorescent Acadia for my boxie with a Che for heat. I like http://www.lightyourreptiles.com. that guy gave me great advice on a good set up for my enclosure. Perhaps you can find sim in the uk. I get the powersuns on amazon.
    Linda and Mark likes this.
  3. Linda and Mark

Thank you so much for replying and for the advice. I will look into it now :)
  4. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

I think for uvb the arcadias are winning out by a landslide. They produce more uvb and the uvb seems to last longer then the mercury vapor bulbs. The bulb itself seems to also last longer and is not so sensitive.
    Species doesn't really matter with giving the best uvb. That's where the placement and setup of the enclosure plays a role. Forest species still need the best uvb, they just need more forest coverage then a desert species.
  5. Linda and Mark

We have just been and bought Arcadia so are very pleased with the advice on here,
  6. Salspi

Salspi Member

I agree with the Arcadia for UVB and I’m leaning towards getting radiant heat panels for heat. Looking forward to this thread