GaiaSulcataLover

Location (City and/or State)
Monroe, Georgia
Hi all I’ve been thinking about possibly adopting a tortoise into my little family but I have a few questions. First off I currently live in Georgia so does anyone know any reputable reptile shops/breeders in Georgia? Secondly, I have a little bit of experience keeping tortoises but nothing crazy so what is the best smaller species of tortoise that are also best for beginners? Is there a specific species that is more friendly than others and is there a species that stays small enough to be kept in the home if given adequate lighting and space? We have a strict HOA so getting a tortoise that would need to be housed outside is not possible for me and may not be possible for me for a long time. I’ve read Leopards and Hermans stay relatively small but would love some more breed recommendations to look into as well. Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A tortoise never being able to be outside is not the best situation.
That said, a leopard would only stay small if not cared for properly. An adult leopard would need a room size enclosure when an adult.
A Russian is a good beginner and stays small. They also brumate during winter months but don't need to. The minimum size enclosure for a Russian is a 4x8 but usually that's for one that also gets to go outside so bigger should be given as an adult.
Best to stay away from stores and either rescue one from craigslist or someone here that might be rehoming or buy from a breeder that starts them out right.
Please read the caresheet to see if you can do what's required.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Please read these and get an enclosure set up before getting a tortoise.

Info for new people

Mistakes and products to avoid

When buying products it is sometimes helpful to ask here first to avoid having to return products.

As far as species, I don't think leopards would be suitable indoors. One of the Mediterranean species would probably suit you best. Due to their size they are easier to make happy indoors too.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
If you are limited to indoors it depends on what kind of space you can offer. Russian, Greek, or Hermanns tortoises are great beginner tortoises, they stay on the small side, but they’re active and need a lot of space. Most people here recommend a 4x8 foot enclosure for an adult.

There are other small tortoises that need less space, but most are either rare and expensive and/or poorly suited for beginners. One that might work is speke’s hinge back tortoise (but only if you can find one that is captive bred). They are similar in size to the European tortoises but need less space.

If you are thinking something like 2x4 feet, I’d recommend a small aquatic turtle (such as a dwarf mud turtle) that would be happy in a small tank.