Best Substrate For ASTHMA And REDFOOT TORTOISE....

Bwaterford

Location (City and/or State)
Holland Ohio
If you use bark, rinsing it may help to get rid of the dust. Sifting will also help to remove the small particles. Do you have a closed chamber?
So I was just reading another person's post on here fom July....it has been brought to my attention that Fir Bark, AKA Orchid Bark it has the potential to have Pine or a type of pine mixed in it, there is alot of back and forth about it being pet safe but after my experience yesterday with having it in my habitat for 5 minutes then putting it back on the bag, was enough for me. My asthma is highly reactive to PINE. It was NOT the dust it was the smell or vapors it was giving off.... I will NOT be using FIR Bark, ORCHID Bark or Anything that has the potential of or being by or processed with ect ect. With, PINE. I do not need the stress for my Asthma nor does my Redfoot need the possibility of the inconsistency of anyone really knowing 100% if it's been by, mixed with or processed ect. with PINE. I will find a safer substrate for us both.
Thanks for chiming in.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
So I was just reading another person's post on here fom July....it has been brought to my attention that Fir Bark, AKA Orchid Bark it has the potential to have Pine or a type of pine mixed in it, there is alot of back and forth about it being pet safe but after my experience yesterday with having it in my habitat for 5 minutes then putting it back on the bag, was enough for me. My asthma is highly reactive to PINE. It was NOT the dust it was the smell or vapors it was giving off.... I will NOT be using FIR Bark, ORCHID Bark or Anything that has the potential of or being by or processed with ect ect. With, PINE. I do not need the stress for my Asthma nor does my Redfoot need the possibility of the inconsistency of anyone really knowing 100% if it's been by, mixed with or processed ect. with PINE. I will find a safer substrate for us both.
Thanks for chiming in.
For what it’s worth, I’m in the uk, meaning our orchid bark is pine but prepared in such a way that makes it safe, least that’s as far as my research went. In the US, your orchid barks are made from fir trees, not pine🙂

Bwaterford

Holland Ohio
For what it’s worth, I’m in the uk, meaning our orchid bark is pine but prepared in such a way that makes it safe, least that’s as far as my research went. In the US, your orchid barks are made from fir trees, not pine🙂
Well then the Bag of Reptile Bark that I opened that says 100% Fir Bark.... Gave me the same reaction as I get from Pine..... I guess I am sensitive to Fir as well then. Either way I'm not using it, the smell is off putting.