Best tortoise for outdoor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
I have a decent size garden, say about 30 x 30ft. Which tortoise would be good for outdoors, only thing is that it rains and shines throughout the year, temps range between 24-35 degrees c 24/7, humidity between 70-90%. Sun is good but what about rain? Which tort is hardy enough if it rain? I will build an outdoor enclosure for it but will let it roam freely in my garden. What about the Leopard tortoise?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Rain isn't an issue as long as it is not cold with the rain and that they do have a dry place they can go into if they desire. Actually rain often gets them into breeding moods, can encourage all activities for that matter, and for ones that love worms...well they become super active hunters.

Would you be having an outside heat source it can get under if it wished?

samstar

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Rain isn't an issue as long as it is not cold with the rain and that they do have a dry place they can go into if they desire. Actually rain often gets them into breeding moods, can encourage all activities for that matter, and for ones that love worms...well they become super active hunters.

Would you be having an outside heat source it can get under if it wished?

It's never cold here. So Leopards make good in warm and wet climates? Anything else I can consider that would grow to upto 2 feet max?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I don't think Leopard tortoises would do all that well with it being that wet all the time. Redfoots, Yellowfoots, Home's and Forest hingebacks and possibly Elongated tortoises would be a good bet for being outside 24/7 in your garden.

Danny

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Which tortoise is "best of outdoors" really depends very much on the climate in your area and more specifically the natural conditions (including microclimate) of the location that you would be keeping the tortoise outdoors. Along with those factors you also need to consider to what extreme you are willing to provide artificial shelter, heat and other needs for the tortoise outside. Different species have different needs in terms of the amount of heat (day/night), exposure to humidity and/or dampness and other details. Rain is absolutely a good thing for most species but it very much depends upon the temperatures when it rains that the tortoise may be exposed to that you have to be concerned about.
I believe that whenever keeping tortoises outdoors a person needs to know their climate very well and also needs to know what a particular tortoise species can tolerate in terms of temperature and humidity changes and extremes.
I live in the Northeastern U.S. and many years ago realized that the only tortoises that I could realistically keep outdoors successfully with little additional cost and equipment were Northern Mediterranean Testudo species such as Hermanns, Ibera, Marginateds and Russians. I have done so with great success for nearly 25 years. I also keep a few Redfoots and a group of Pancake tortoises. Because of my climate limitations the Pancakes are housed indoors 365 days a year. The Redfoots can go out from about mid June to late September and that's it.

I don't think it's as simple as asking "What tortoise is best for outdoors"? I think someone really needs to know the tolerance and comfort levels of a particular species and their own microclimate to know what is best for them.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
GBtortoises said:
Which tortoise is "best of outdoors" really depends very much on the climate in your area and more specifically the natural conditions (including microclimate) of the location that you would be keeping the tortoise outdoors. Along with those factors you also need to consider to what extreme you are willing to provide artificial shelter, heat and other needs for the tortoise outside. Different species have different needs in terms of the amount of heat (day/night), exposure to humidity and/or dampness and other details. Rain is absolutely a good thing for most species but it very much depends upon the temperatures when it rains that the tortoise may be exposed to that you have to be concerned about.
I believe that whenever keeping tortoises outdoors a person needs to know their climate very well and also needs to know what a particular tortoise species can tolerate in terms of temperature and humidity changes and extremes.
I live in the Northeastern U.S. and many years ago realized that the only tortoises that I could realistically keep outdoors successfully with little additional cost and equipment were Northern Mediterranean Testudo species such as Hermanns, Ibera, Marginateds and Russians. I have done so with great success for nearly 25 years. I also keep a few Redfoots and a group of Pancake tortoises. Because of my climate limitations the Pancakes are housed indoors 365 days a year. The Redfoots can go out from about mid June to late September and that's it.

I don't think it's as simple as asking "What tortoise is best for outdoors"? I think someone really needs to know the tolerance and comfort levels of a particular species and their own microclimate to know what is best for them.

That was well said!

I wouldn't think of a Leopard as being an easy one to keep with high rain levels, but it all depends on what your willing to do. So far, it doesn't seem like you want to do as much as the Leopard would need.

The real answer I think about what is best to keep outside 24/7 is any tortoise that is native to your area.:cool:

samstar

5 Year Member
Thaks for all the advise guys. I plan on building a small tortoise enclosure with a basking light to keep it warm. Like I mentioned the temp goes lowest to 24 degrees celcius and thats usually during rainy seasons. I am now leaning more towards Redfoots.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
samstar said:
Thaks for all the advise guys. I plan on building a small tortoise enclosure with a basking light to keep it warm. Like I mentioned the temp goes lowest to 24 degrees celcius and thats usually during rainy seasons. I am now leaning more towards Redfoots.

You won't be disappointed with the Redfoots. Tremendous personalities! And that humidity range you have is just about perfect.

samstar

5 Year Member
harris said:
samstar said:

You won't be disappointed with the Redfoots. Tremendous personalities! And that humidity range you have is just about perfect.

And I am assuming correct that they do well also in rainy conditions?

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
samstar said:
harris said:
samstar said:

And I am assuming correct that they do well also in rainy conditions?

Absolutely. They come from South America. I lived in Venezuela in the late 70's, that's how I got hooked on them. It used to rain once a day in the "dry season", albiet for a very short period. But then the rainy season would come when it seemed like it rained aaaaalll the time.

samstar

5 Year Member
Thanks friends. I will study the Redfoots before buying them. I would say to go for the cherryhead red foots?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think your doing the smart thing going for Redfoots. No really big differences between the Redfoots and the Cherry in my mind. I like the Cherryheads, just because normally they have more color, but that's not always the case. I say more you should just look around and find what colors or lack of color you like and go from there. I am one of these just strange folks that think some tortoises just "speak" to you that they are the one for you. :shy:

samstar

5 Year Member
I just did a search and Redfoots need meat in their diet. I am vegeterian and I would prefer not to use meat. Any suggestions? Can Redfoots live on Mazuri?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Live on it alone, they probally could, but even the makers suggest feeding greens along with the Mazuri (but it's not feeding greens your worried about)

How strict a vegetarian? Do bugs count? How about catfood? Fish?

If they are like mine, when they are out in their enclosure they hunt down some of their own food, mostly worms. Have never saw mine do this, but have heard others say their will also catch snakes. They would also eat anything already dead laying in the yard or animal wastes. If they find it on their own, would that offend you?

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Jacqui said:
I am one of these just strange folks that think some tortoises just "speak" to you that they are the one for you. :shy:

I'm strange too then because you hit the nail right on the head. Kinda why I avoid pet shops like they're the plague or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.