Betty

Betty Favel

I do not have a tortoise yet but want to get one soon. Want to have the proper habitat ready and to get a pet compatible to Orlando Fl. Also want to be able to get care help from others with tortoise pets. Suggestions welcome. :)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hello! How much space do you have to spare? Its a good place to start when reseaching which #Tortoise to bring into your family.

Betty Favel

I have been working on a low cement block wall connected to my front porch. It is roughly 10 foot by 3 foot and has lilies and desert rose bushes in it. It is dirt floored but I would like to put some river rock in. I plan a gate to the porch opening for when my pet would be outside. Inside not too much room for a pen maybe 3 foot by 3 foot at most. Does that sound ok?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Betty and welcome from Texas. 3x3 is way too small for any tortoise IMO. And if your Lillies are daylillies I think I read that they are not good for torts, would have to confirm that one though

Betty Favel

Thank you! I will check about the lillies as I wouldn't want anything that would hurt my pet. I dont think they are daylillies but will check. How big would an indoor space have to be?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Thank you! I will check about the lillies as I wouldn't want anything that would hurt my pet. I dont think they are daylillies but will check. How big would an indoor space have to be?
Sorry Betty,I misread your initial post and thought 3x3 would be the outdoors enclosure carved out of your porch. 3x3 will be ok for baby tort and will last for a while till your baby outgrows it. I keep my babies in 40 gal fish tank made into a terrarium. Torts don't grow as fast as cats/dogs so you don't have to feel rushed to build a new enclosure. Sorry for confusing you

Betty Favel

Pearly, thank you for the clarification. I am not sure how much time my pet will spend indoors in Florida so thought the indoor size could be smaller.
Zeropilot, thank you for letting me know that redfoot are Florida tortoises! I was not sure and woulld not want to have someone sell me a pet that would not do well here.
I have been reading the FAQs and there is a lot of information.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Pearly, thank you for the clarification. I am not sure how much time my pet will spend indoors in Florida so thought the indoor size could be smaller.
Zeropilot, thank you for letting me know that redfoot are Florida tortoises! I was not sure and woulld not want to have someone sell me a pet that would not do well here.
I have been reading the FAQs and there is a lot of information.
Read. Read. Read and then look on Craigslist and find a small adult Redfoot. They are MUCH easier to care for than a baby.
(If you in fact settle on a Redfoot)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Tortoises for Florida = Redfoot.
In Florida you guys can keep anything under the sun! You have perfect climate for reptiles. I had my eyes on sulcata but living in subdivision without at least an acre I didn't think that would feel right. I have Redfoot and Brazilian cherryhead (type of Redfoot) and Ed is correct, some babies require LOTS of work and intense research to get them on right track. One of mine was such baby and it's only because that time happened with very serious injury that put me in wheelchair for few months, I had the time to do all the research, and try all the tricks to get this baby on right track. I think if I didn't have all that extra time he'd very well be one of those unfortunate statistics of babies that never make it to their first day. Torts are pretty resilient once out of that tender age zone. There are sooooo many different species of gorgeous tortoises!!!!! I went with RF bcs I wanted more than one and RF's are known to do ok in groups. I also didn't want to mess with hibernation (but now I know that many keepers don't hibernate their torts at all). I love them all and could adapt conditions to any species. Look up Greeks, Russians, pancakes, hingebacks, marginateds.... And more! They are all wonderfull. Then there are the stars and radiateds,but we are talking about some DOLLARS there. For some reason sulcatas are the lowest price, but they shouldn't be, they are not cheap/easy to keep imo. Now, I'd still love to have one some day, but my RFs are filling up my "tort bucket" just fine for now. I also love aldabrans... But talk about BIG.... Many people here keep leopards, another beauty, but they get pretty big too. Then our native tortoises, desert torts, and how about box turtles! And many more! Your possibilities are almost endless and living in Orlando Fl you can pull off keeping just about any of them

Betty Favel

I think you are right that I need an adult pet. I hadn't thought about looking on Craigs list so did this morning. They have a 6 year Sulcata and 10 year old African spur-thigh and baby Stars (which are beautiful but not in my price range) so I think I will keep looking. The leopards are beautiful but I think I will look for a red foot.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi Betty and welcome from Texas. 3x3 is way too small for any tortoise IMO. And if your Lillies are daylillies I think I read that they are not good for torts, would have to confirm that one though

Daylilies are great for tortoises, but not so most other lilies.

Betty Favel

Thank you for the clarification! I still have not found out what the plants are. I got the bulbs years ago from am older lady who has since passed away. I am told I have to wait for them to flower so guy at nursery can see. Do Tortoises do well with desert rose plants?