Big Bertha Doing Great

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Active enough to declare war on the tube.
I saw her looking at it. I think it annoyed her.
I can't reach the entry area as it is deep into her shoulder area. She was anesthetized to place it.
I hope everything works out when you see your vet also who is your vet

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Your 1st sentence made me smile. She's coming back around by the looks of things.
Looking back now, do you think she has had pneumonia all along, and the first time she was getting over it without antibiotics, but with her burst of energy trying to get out of the tote it knocked her back to square one.
That is my only guess. And it would be great if that were the case. We'll see how it goes.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Another update and NOT a good one. I heard her moving around. She was restless and when I picked her up I found that she had pulled out her tube. There is no bleeding. No smell of infection.
I can't get ahold of my vet until monday.....
Hi Ed. So sorry to have just read your posts about poor Bertha. I'm still hoping to hear good news.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I can't reach the entry area as it is deep into her shoulder area. She was anesthetized to place it.
Maybe it is good that she is strong enough to pull it out. Your vet doesn't have emergency coverage on the weekends? I know it's tough having repeated vet visits, I spent $800 in three days about a week ago. It does add up quickly.
I'm sorry to hear about her setbacks, but this is not unusual even in people. When people start to recover they start feeling better and then they are just strong enough to get themselves in trouble. They almost need more supervision than then when they are really sick. Animals are the same way. Maybe she won't have to have the tube put back in. Is she eating anything now? I mean on her own.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
At least the antibiotics should help keep infection at bay. Everything crossed for her again.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Today's injection didn't go very well. The needle bent in half. I'm not sure how much went in. I hit scaly underarm and not soft muscle with the needle.
Next injection is Wednesday.
I'll call the vet in the morning about replacing or not replacing the tube.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Today's injection didn't go very well. The needle bent in half. I'm not sure how much went in. I hit scaly underarm and not soft muscle with the needle.

It happens, even to the pros. Don't sweat it too much.

C'mon, Bertha, feel better!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Ed. Extremely sorry to have read what took place with that injection.

Wishes for Bertha to get well soon, and please keep up hope. Good luck to both of you.

jcaporaletti

10 Year Member!
United States
Glad to hear she is doing better. If she is eating you will not need to place another tube. Sometimes in the older guys and gals vitamin A is helpful. Try offering a sweet potato, pop that sucker in the microwave to cook it and let it cool. I give my old beasts some every months or two.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
When she turns on and eats, she eats well.
When she turns off, like now, I can say that she won't eat ANYTHING.
Believe me. You won't think of a food item I haven't tried.
As long as she drinks. I'm not too worried about food. The X ray showed that she is still full and she weighed over a pound and a half more.
Hopefully after the antibiotics have been administered she will again eat. I've been told to NOT feed her until then.