Big Bertha Doing Great

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
The foam is mild pneumonia. The vet will contact me by phone or Email but hasn't yet.
Second round of antibiotics shots are today. I administer them.
Thanks for letting us know Ed.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The foam is mild pneumonia. The vet will contact me by phone or Email but hasn't yet.
Hi Ed. I just read your last post. Has the vet contact you? If so, please let me know what he/she said, asap. I sincerely hope to hear that Bertha is..... BETTER.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The vet, Dr. Kelleher called.
"Bertha has a slightly elevated white blood count and whatever it is the antibiotics should wipe it out."
Pretty disappointing

Why disappointing? Sounds like things are looking pretty simple and good for a recovery. Did I miss something?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
"Bertha has a slightly elevated white blood count and whatever it is the antibiotics should wipe it out."
Pretty disappointing
Didn't you say that she had a little pneumonia? That's why the blood count is off. Could be a lot worse. Keep plugging along, you and her :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Pretty disappointing
So I think high white cel count means the immune system is vulnerable. The antibiotics should over come this issue. What are you thinking ed? Was you expecting something more severe. Are you thinking this is not a big enough problem to cause the issues you have had with her? Did the vet explain what high white cell count means.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Pretty disappointing
Hello Ed. Your above post implies that Bertha is slightly better. What is disappointing you? Please explain. Thanks.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think Ed may have been disappointed with the inconclusive result.
He may have been hoping for a more concrete,"this was the problem all along, it was naughtybacilli"or whatever.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Ed.
Yes. Exactly. Sometimes I don't articulate very well. Especially when under stress.
I was hoping for a pin point reason why she was so ill. Certainly not MILD pneumonia.
I gave her her second shot last night.
Thanks everyone. We'll all celebrate together if this ever ends.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi, I just ran across this thread looking for something else in health section (proper ways to take measurements). I am sorry to hear you have to deal with illness in the animal. Just to throw my few cents, the foam from mouth/nose can be indicative of pulmonary edema in humans (not sure about reptiles) which basically means swelling/fluid in the lungs, often caused by infections, cardiorespiratory system compromised by injury, infections etc

Pearly

5 Year Member
Pretty disappointing
Again, my few cents from what I've seen in humans: elevated white count (WBC's) in simple terms tells us that the body is fighting bacterial infection (unless there is some problem with blood cell production). I'm guessing that your vet is treating Bertha for pneumonia by the little info I read. I hope she responds to the antibiotics. Word of caution on antibiotics, in humans they can cause serious issues by messing up natural bacterial flora which keeps is alive. We know now to take probiotics and eat yogurts with live cultures etc. not sure what our veterinary medicine advises on reptiles. This will be one of the topics of my future research. Good luck with Bertha! I'm keeping my fingers crossed

Pearly

5 Year Member
I just saw physical assessment article on this site that was posted by Yvonne. It had picture if "foaming" around mouth/nose titled "HYPERSALIVATION" which to me would sound like much lighter deal than pulmonary edema. I sure hope your Bertha recovers quickly

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
So far my guessing has been as accurate as the vets.....and cheaper too.
I truly hope that this general antibiotic is the mystery cure.
The injectable antibiotic was chosen over the oral because she wanted it to be fast acting. I'm not sure if she was concerned about wiping out the gut culture or not.