Big Bertha Doing Great

ShannonC

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Oh boy!! I really hope things go well!! I can't imagine the stress it is causing both of you!! You are amazing, taking care of her like you have!! I hope that the general direction continues to be UP!! You guys deserve a break!! And hopefully Bertha will go on to live a long, healthy, happy life after all this!! Sending good vibes and well wishes your way!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
It all seems pretty hit and miss to me. Though I give my vet the utmost trust, I still feel that more can be done.
The xray showed food and no obstruction. The poo is right there. The last time she pooped, weeks ago, I had to help her pass it (with a stick) It was like very thick and clingy wet cement.
it's right there. Just too solid. IMO. She spends a lot of time with her rear end up apparently pushing to no avail.
I don't know if there will be even more xrays tomorrow or not.
I'll post after the vet visit.
This morning I offered some cactus pad. So far she didn't eat any. My other tortoises get crazy diarrhea when they eat that.
Crap! I had it all typed up and got interrupted by the kids, and it's gone! Anyway, I was just thinking about that constipation... That "it's right there"... How about trying to help her expel it by stimulating her butt with... Maybe a q-tip saturated with additive free lubricant? Think plain K-Y would do. I know it may sound disgusting to some, but she sounds pretty miserable with trying to go and not being able to. If it sounds too out there just disregard it. Hope the vet visit today goes well.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Sedation was required for the enema. I have to go back and pick her up in four hours and I've been told to bring a box and lots of towels.
Eating, walking and pooping....maybe this will be it once the antibiotics have also run their course.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Sedation was required for the enema. I have to go back and pick her up in four hours and I've been told to bring a box and lots of towels.
Eating, walking and pooping....maybe this will be it once the antibiotics have also run their course.
Please, please, please let it be it.
Toes crossed as well now.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The liquid is called "lactalose".
It might be spelled differently.
I picked her up and she is limp and drooling. They gave her an enema and lactalose. She hasn't pooped. She isn't really even awake.
I placed her inside her indoors tote for some rest and I won't bother her until tomorrow.
Hopefully she'll poo and then eat something that I can put lactalose on. Otherwise I must somehow pry her mouth open.
She also gets her second to last antibiotic injection. I don't want to ad extra stress. It's quite a lot already.