Big Bertha Doing Great

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Good morning! I so hope you have found Bertha more awake this morning
Yes. She was responsive.
I leave for work at 3:45am. So it was very dark. Even in my lighted patio area where her outdoors pen is.
I wanted to keep her over night inside because she would have been vulnerable to a passing rat, etc.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
When I bought her in and gave her her injection, I realized that the "POOP" is more or less just some nasty water pouring out of her rear. When I lifted her up, it poured out.
I washed her and let her soak in the utility room sink. (Changing the water several times.)
She is trying to poo again, tail up in the air, but nothing is really going on.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Poor girl! Hopefully this is just a precursor of things to come.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
When I bought her in and gave her her injection, I realized that the "POOP" is more or less just some nasty water pouring out of her rear. When I lifted her up, it poured out.
I washed her and let her soak in the utility room sink. (Changing the water several times.)
She is trying to poo again, tail up in the air, but nothing is really going on.
Sounds like her tummy is cramping. Lactulose tends to give cramps. If she needs to be on laxative for a while I'd check with the vet about switching to Miralax which is gentle and doesn't give stomach cramps. I'm just not sure if/how you'd give it. It's a powder that you mix with some liquid and drink. I know you said you were going to stay committed to Bertha for as long as she kept fighting, and that you liked the vet, but... Do you have any way to get a second opinion? It just seems strange that without any other apparent cause (major illness, metabolic or structural issue, overwhelming infection, or malignancy... etc) this poor thing is still miserable. Are you confident in the skill level of your vet? Or... Is she missing something? What is exactly her differential diagnosis and treatment plan? What's her prognosis? I'm sure you have been asking those questions all along but you are also the caregiver of the sick animal which is very draining and can be scary and overwhelming. I imagine you are having to fork out some serious dollars with each vet visit. Sorry for being devil's advocate and throwing my human medicine stuff in here. I just wish I could help somehow. This must be very frustrating for you

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It does feel as though my vet has a hit and miss approach, but she is still the best one I have found.
I O.K.ed any and every type of test to be done and there is still no diagnosis. Antibiotics for an infection not found, etc.
There IS the troubling matter of what was/is her original illness?
One day she stopped eating and didn't eat for over three months....She got a feeding tube and then began eating on her own again. Then had a major issue and almost died? What was that? Now she is crawling back to the point that she was originally at.....Certainly no better and nothing has ever been found to be wrong. No X ray. No blood test. No fecal test. No test has found anything. She has had test after test after test. Nothing is abnormal.
Maybe I do need another vet. I've used one in Marathon three hours to the south and in West Palm an hour north. This one is only 30 minutes away. Most "exotics" are clearly guessing when it comes to tortoises. At least this vet HAS a tortoise!
Yes, at this point, I've spent several thousand dollars on her care. She is not better at all. It seems like we should be a little bit further along than this.
Thanks for letting me vent.