Big Bertha Doing Great

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My original thought.... One that still hasn't been disproven, is that she may be dying of old age.
Her history could only be traced back about 22-25 years. She could be much older.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
My original thought.... One that still hasn't been disproven, is that she may be dying of old age.
Her history could only be traced back about 22-25 years. She could be much older.
I was under the impression that reptiles don't actually "die from old age" but always from an illness/disease/deformity/traumatic event/etc? Supposedly they could live forever if raised 100% correctly and with no medical issues? At least that's what I heard, I could very well be wrong.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I was under the impression that reptiles don't actually "die from old age" but always from an illness/disease/deformity/traumatic event/etc? Supposedly they could live forever if raised 100% correctly and with no medical issues? At least that's what I heard, I could very well be wrong.
No. Even tortoises don't last forever and a Redfoot life span is 55-65 years when all of their needs are met. I've read of them living for just over 40 years, also.

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
You are thinking of crustaceans like lobsters they can live near forever but most of the time are eaten

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I have heard that kind of statement made as well. It doesn't really work for me though. Humans don't die of old age either. The heart fails, the immune system fails.... Bodies wear out, it's just nature.
Sure hope that's not the case here. I really want her to recover for you, and have many happy years.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
No. Even tortoises don't last forever and a Redfoot life span is 55-65 years when all of their needs are met. I've read of them living for just over 40 years, also.
Is the coarse of antibiotics finished.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I read an article that was proposing the idea that turtles and tortoises live until something kills them, but I've never heard this about any other type of reptile. There have been turtles and tortoises on record living more than 180 years. I heard of one tortoise that was recorded as 280+ years old and it was already an adult when that count started.

I don't think anyone knows what the lifespan of our chelonians really is. Captive breeding is a relatively new thing and we just don't have ages on so many of the older ones. Couple that with the fact that our understanding of captive chelonian husbandry is still in its infancy, and who knows when this question will ever be definitively answered.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I read an article that was proposing the idea that turtles and tortoises live until something kills them, but I've never heard this about any other type of reptile. There have been turtles and tortoises on record living more than 180 years. I heard of one tortoise that was recorded as 280+ years old and it was already an adult when that count started.

I don't think anyone knows what the lifespan of our chelonians really is. Captive breeding is a relatively new thing and we just don't have ages on so many of the older ones. Couple that with the fact that our understanding of captive chelonian husbandry is still in its infancy, and who knows when this question will ever be definitively answered.
No kidding?
I've never heard of such a thing.

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
I have heard that kind of statement made as well. It doesn't really work for me though. Humans don't die of old age either. The heart fails, the immune system fails.... Bodies wear out, it's just nature.
Sure hope that's not the case here. I really want her to recover for you, and have many happy years.
Old age is our chromosomes unraveling after decades of cell splitting. This causes our bodies to fail because we can not produce new cells to manage them.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
She didn't eat today either, but I had to shovel out the whole pen and replace the mulch in the exercise area and the hay in her bedding area.
She also required TWO baths.
The pooping has begun.
Inquiring minds want to know. Has her stool improved from watery to a consistency that would suggest she was blocked up?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Inquiring minds want to know. Has her stool improved from watery to a consistency that would suggest she was blocked up?
It looks like Mazuri. Different color and smell. It pretty much looks like it did going in her. I don't think it caused her constipation. I think she has a digestive problem.......But I'm no vet.

ShannonC

South Carolina
It looks like Mazuri. Different color and smell. It pretty much looks like it did going in her. I don't think it caused her constipation. I think she has a digestive problem.......But I'm no vet.

A lot of times, close observation, common sense and that "gut feeling" are spot on!! I have learned to trust my gut feelings! My biggest question on this one would be if the digestive issues are primary or secondary, given all that she has been through.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It looks like Mazuri. Different color and smell. It pretty much looks like it did going in her. I don't think it caused her constipation. I think she has a digestive problem.......But I'm no vet. BBC
I agree with you ed. She has a digestive problem. This is why I asked about coccidia in your other thread. All the drugs and forcefeeding are making her system work. Time will come for her to go it alone after antibiotics are done. I'm always optimistic, so hope it has kickstarts her system up.