1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Big brown...

Discussion in 'Asian brown/black and Impressed tortoises' started by Morcomshane, Oct 9, 2018.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. teresaf

teresaf Well-Known Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    I have Burmese BLACK mountain tortoises. Care is the same. They get bigger is all. Closed chamber. Glass tank is fine...if he has problems with refelection block access to reflection. I used so much coco choir substrate that I was able to dig down and pile up around the edges of the tank... i was lucky enough to find a 250 gallons tank on Craigslist real cheap. But first used a 20ish gallon. Then found a cool barn wood hollow coffee table with a barn window lid that I repurposed.

Themometor/hygrometer with REMOTE probe is a necessity. High humidity messes with mechanisms so keep the actual mechanism outside the enclosure and hang the probe inside at tort level. Get more than one. They're cheap at Amazon. $12. Enclosure temps need to be lower than other tortoise hatchlings. 68-90... 90 would be his hot spot. Just a small spot of 90. A ceramic heat emmitter(che) is great for this. The rest lower.

Humidity needs to be as high as you can make it. Literally...almost raining. These are humid forest animsls...

uvb is important but not as important as for other tortoises. They live their whole lives up under a dark canopy of foliage.

They're one of the few torts that elephant ear plant is good for. It's a staple for them in Asia. My manouria love mazuri. Original formula not LS version. Tried the LS. They didn't touch it. Soften the nuggets until they are soft but still hold their shape and place one on his bed of veggies every other meal.
  2. Morcomshane

Morcomshane Member

USA
    Thank you for all that. I appreciate all the info.
  3. MichaelaW

MichaelaW Well-Known Member

Harlingen, TX
    They climb incredibly well.

Attached Files:

Kasia, Alena and jsheffield like this.
  4. Morcomshane

Morcomshane Member

USA
    Wow, were they stacked or something? Holy smokes lol
  5. mikeh

mikeh Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

PA here and here you go....this enclosure has impressa in it - same idea. It is fully enclosed with its own mini climate. Very high humidity and spraying, keep the shell saturated with moisture, with wet dry carapace cycles. They are shell rot resistant but no constant sagging wet floor, damp wet cycles again. Your emys looks good, I don’t see red flags. Strong eating tendency when doing well, and should feel solid and heavy. That is a good easy check that tortoise is doing well. IMG_1841.jpg
  6. mikeh

mikeh Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

At this stage half the 6x3 water proofed enclosure is used for climate management, half the habitat. The water reservoir with heat cables and small fan mostly control the climate set up with spider robotics temp and humidity controller. IMG_1842.jpg
  7. Morcomshane

Morcomshane Member

USA
    This is awesome. Tomorrow If you're on I'd like to talk with you a bit. This has been helpful
  8. teresaf

Port Charlotte, Florida
    My burmese black mountain tortoises(meps) second enclosure. I lined it with pond liner. Of course this wouldn't work for most tortoise hatchlings because a heat lamp and uvb aren't possible...I just placed my heat lamp above the glass and it heated it up in there real nice. I dumped water in all the corners so coco choir was always quite moist in places. The last is my current enclosure since I moved to Florida from ohio. They're about 9 pounds each now...by the way, the shell you see in the coffee table is fake. It's a hide I found at the pet store.

Attached Files:

Morcomshane likes this.
  9. Morcomshane

Morcomshane Member

USA
    Are you able to show any of your climate controls ? Or any info would be great too
  10. teresaf

Port Charlotte, Florida
    The only climate control I needed was the thermometer/hygrometer... Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
  11. Morcomshane

Morcomshane Member

USA
    That's easy enough. Thank you. This info has been very helpful
  12. teresaf

Port Charlotte, Florida
    You're very welcome... I would get more than one thermometer/hygrometer. One for each end of the enclosure. Maybe even one in the middle to compare them all to... They're very inexpensive and pretty good quality. I didn't have any that failed. For peace of mind though I liked having multiple ones in there so I could check all of them at once as I was walking by the tank since I had them lined up on top...
  13. Jdorm01

Jdorm01 New Member

Florida
    Where did you order your baby from? I’ve been looking for one.
  14. Morcomshane

Morcomshane Member

USA
    Jay from

[email protected]
    Jdorm01 likes this.