BIG problems....someone please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meka

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio, USA
I have had my Sulcata tortoise, Gus, for over a year now since July, 2006. I got him as a hatchling at 2 months old. He has not grown at all since I got him! The plastron and the sides of his carapace are a bit soft. We are offering him different greens such as clover, dandelion, and turnip greens. We soak him atleast every other day, almost everyday. He has UVA/UVB lighting as well as a heat lamp. We offer him calcium with almost every meal. He doesn't like it, but eats it most of the time. He usually has a great appetite, but recently has lost his appetite. I don't know what else to do for him. I have had him to different vets and no one seems to know how to help him. I cannot understand why he has not grown in a whole year and why his plastron is so soft. We have 2 other tortoises, one sulcata, and one red foot, that are doing just fine. They are a little older, but have no problems like the yearling. Is there anything else I can do for him?? I worry everyday for his little life and I feel that we are doing every possible thing we can for him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I think its just genetics honestly. I have a Leopard hatchling I picked up the end of April that has not grown either. He has gained 1 GRAM in the last 3 months. No noticeable shell growth either. Ive checked and rechecked my setup, temps, lighting and feeding. Ive checked with some fellow Leopard keepers and they agree that everything is perfect and optimal for growth. But yet he doesnt. No idea. I just keep hoping. He has a great appetite and eats like a little piggy. He only weighs 25grams and is 8-9 months old.

Can you post pics of Gus with something for size comparison for us?

Larrah

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Don't really know what advice to give as i'm new to tortoises but just wanted to say good luck in finding what may or may not be wrong with Gus. Sounds like you are a very good carer! xxx

Meka

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio, USA

c_pierce705

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Madcity, WI
I just read a couple of forum threads from kingsnake.com and saw that there were quite a few threads on the subject. Mostly, if all conditions are right for growth, there shouldnt be much concern. Some people said that their sulcata grew upwards of 5 inches in a year while other people said that theirs didnt really start a "spurt" until 4-5 years. I think it depends on the tort. Hope that helps a little

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If everything is right heat, light and enclosure wise it all comes down to diet. Meka and Anja your tortoises aren't getting enough of either Calcium, phosphorus or vitamin D3. You need all 3 in the right amounts to build bones and to grow.
If your tortoises are eating, then you need to supplement more. All my tortoises get Reptocal by Terrafauna for a calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D3 supplement. They all love the taste of it and eat everything it's put on.
I also, for the first year of my hatchlings lives, add liquid vitamins once a week to their water while soaking. I use Vitasol for birds by 8in1.

Danny

Meka

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio, USA
We provide repcal during every feeding...we have tried everything for him. He eats his supplements just fine on his greens, but it doesnt seem to be helping. I will have to try supplementing his soaking water as well....

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
egyptiandan said:
If everything is right heat, light and enclosure wise it all comes down to diet. Meka and Anja your tortoises aren't getting enough of either Calcium, phosphorus or vitamin D3. You need all 3 in the right amounts to build bones and to grow.
If your tortoises are eating, then you need to supplement more. All my tortoises get Reptocal by Terrafauna for a calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D3 supplement. They all love the taste of it and eat everything it's put on.
I also, for the first year of my hatchlings lives, add liquid vitamins once a week to their water while soaking. I use Vitasol for birds by 8in1.

Danny

Hey Danny, Mine gets supplemented every other day and has since day once with reptical with D3. I just picked up some TNT last week and have been using that as well. Ive also started leaving some ground up Mazuri in the enclosure at all times for him. Ive got cuttlebone in with him as well as the mineral block from Carolina Pet Supply. Im sorry but I just dont buy that he is not getting enough of something and is just not growing. Even poorly fed torts will grow, not grow the right way but will grow. Ive been completely anal about his feeding/supplementing/lighting etc etc. Ive sent pics of my setup to EJ and talked with him in depth about my feeding and supplementing because I was worried I was missing something. He just keeps telling me to be patient. lol

I will pick up some vitasol, as I have tried everything else.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I can only tell you what works for me and in 10 years I have never had a hatchling go soft or refuse to grow with what I'm doing.

Danny

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Thats great Dan, but how do you explain every other tortoise and turtle I have is thriving and growing? Im not a tortoise noob, just spent the last 4 years without having any but have had them in the past and worked in the zoo industry.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I would need to know more about your Leopard to tell you that Anja. :) Is it alone or in a group? What are you feeding and how often? Temperatures, length of light and how much light.
Hatchlings also are very different from older animals as to what they need. The first year is the critical year and everything after is dependant on the care they got as hatchlings.

Danny

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
egyptiandan said:
I would need to know more about your Leopard to tell you that Anja. :) Is it alone or in a group? What are you feeding and how often? Temperatures, length of light and how much light.
Hatchlings also are very different from older animals as to what they need. The first year is the critical year and everything after is dependant on the care they got as hatchlings.

Danny

He is alone. I feed grasses, weeds, organic spring mix and I am now leaving ground up Mazuri in with him to free feed on at the recommendation of a friend. I feed twice per day, and as much as he will eat in 15-20 mins. There is always a bit leftover so I know Im not feeding him too little of an amount. He has a shallow water dish that he does access on his own and I soak him every other day. I use reptical 2-3 times per week along with TNT every other day. He has a compact UVB along with a heat lamp. Basking side ranges from 95-105 and cool side averages about 75-76. I have sphagnum moss on the cool end that he burrows in at night. I mist it every 2-3 days and mist the basking end every other day. I turn his lights on at 9am and off at 9pm.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I would leave the food in all the time and replace with fresh if you want twice a day. I would supplement at least once a day.
If he has a water dish that he uses I'd cut down to soaking once a week. To much soaking can make a tortoise pass their food out quicker then they should. It needs to stay there at least a week for the intestines to extract all the nutrients from the food.
I would also up the light level, by adding a florscent light and up the length of the day to 14 hours.
What are the night time temperatures like?

Danny

Meka

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio, USA
Can you over supplement a tortoise?? I have heard you can and doing so can be worse then not supplementing enough. We have stepped up our calcium/D3 intake for Gus and he is showing no signs of improvement. the sides of his shell are turning a reddish color that I have not seen before. Is Mazuri tortoise diet really good for them?? I was told it is not good for main land tortoises.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Meka said:
Can you over supplement a tortoise?? I have heard you can and doing so can be worse then not supplementing enough. We have stepped up our calcium/D3 intake for Gus and he is showing no signs of improvement. the sides of his shell are turning a reddish color that I have not seen before. Is Mazuri tortoise diet really good for them?? I was told it is not good for main land tortoises.

Mazuri is not really food as a main staple diet. Supplementing with it is fine.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
egyptiandan said:
I would leave the food in all the time and replace with fresh if you want twice a day. I would supplement at least once a day.
If he has a water dish that he uses I'd cut down to soaking once a week. To much soaking can make a tortoise pass their food out quicker then they should. It needs to stay there at least a week for the intestines to extract all the nutrients from the food.
I would also up the light level, by adding a florscent light and up the length of the day to 14 hours.
What are the night time temperatures like?

Danny

The food is left in, he usually has leftover that stays in all day. So add a fluorescent bulb on top of the compact UVB and heat bulb I have on him?

Night time temps are 70-72.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Meka you can't over do the supplements in the first year. You can though once they get older.

Anja, yes add a florscent to what you already have. Your night time temperatures are fine. :)

Danny

jamlcj

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
We are new to tortoises, but in setting up I noticed warnings that the lights may not produce the good rays needed after only a year. Vet told me six months. So even if your light is on and working it may not be WORKING. Thought this might help, since seems like you've checked everything else.

egyptiandan said:
I can only tell you what works for me and in 10 years I have never had a hatchling go soft or refuse to grow with what I'm doing.

Danny

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Meka said:
Do your tortoises have soft plastrons at all?? I don;t know why he has this, as we provide proper UV lighting as well as a calcium supplement. Anyway, here are some pics. The first one is from a while ago, last fall. The next two I just took with some objects to compare him to.

Your Gus is so sweet.
Do tort's have genetic differences like humans? I would think any living thing can. (We have a dear friend who did not grow at all when he was a child from the years he was 2 - 4 years old. Now he's an average height guy).
If there are no parasites consuming his food and throwing off his growth and his temps are good etc. ...could he have a thyroid issue...do torts have that sort of problem? (Just thinking out loud here)...
Otherwise, I would say...relax, enjoy him, take lots of pics and I bet he'll have the biggest personality no matter his end size:cool: (and I know you are doing all you can, and more).

ArtGeco

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Meka said:
. He has UVA/UVB lighting as well as a heat lamp. We offer him calcium with almost every meal. I have had him to different vets and no one seems to know how to help him.

Are the bulbs being replaced regularly? Just cause they are shining doesn't
mean they are doing their job, they should be replaced every 4-6 months.

What exams have the vets given? Are they reptile/exotic vets? Have they
given any info at all?

Get well soon Gus!

Status
Not open for further replies.