Need Help: Possible Soft Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

vic43731

5 Year Member
OK we have had our little guy for about a month. I was told he was a couple months old but that was it. We were told what to get and blah blah to set him up. WELL apparently the light we were told was the wrong lights. We just had a red heat lamp. He is still very active when I get him out and he eats well, BUT last week when I picked him up I noticed his shell was kind of soft. SO I immediately did some internet research. I went and got a UVB light, some calcium dust and some other food that had different greens in it. I have been feeding him tortoise food with alfalfa and stuff in it. Little cubes that you hydrate to make em smell good. He has water in his home. We had not been soaking him every day as we were told it was not necessary. . Today I also put a UVA bulb in another lamp so both the lights are on him/her. He still seems to be pretty active when I get him out, but he sleeps alot. He still seems to be a little soft. I am wondering is this from not soaking him enough? Inadequate light for so long? How long will it take to recover? I don't want to lose my little guy because I have wanted one for so long and I cannot wait for him to get big. I want my kids to bring their kids to my house to see grandma's huge turtle. :) Please help.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
What is the brand and wattage of your UVB, and what kind of supplement are you using for Ca?

M

Maggie Cummings

Remember it is going to take some time to correct whatever was wrong. He is going to sleep a lot because he's a baby and babies sleep a lot. I'd stop with the tortoise pellets and feed him dark leafy greens, grass, weeds, blooms, leafs. Here's a link to a good care sheet. I am not trying to push you off somewhere else just trying to give you something else to read so you get more confused! hahaha. Soak your baby every day or every other day. Feed him healthy greens and put him in the sun and use the UVB light. If you caught the soft shell in time he will be fine. Continue to ask questions...welcome to the forum...

http://africantortoise.com/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Welcome to the forum. Maggie already said it best.

I'm a big advocate of sunshine. I like to really emphasize it. Better than any artificial light and will help get him back on track, along with Maggies' other suggestions.

We'd love to see pics of him and his enclosure.

moswen

5 Year Member
welcome! that's cute about grandma's turtle. i agree you should start feeding him some fresh stuff with the pellets.

there is a wonderful link here for "sulcata seed." this is a hand picked variety of good healthy weed seeds that you can clip fresh every day to keep the most nutrients. remember, the longer an item has been cut from the roots (like grocery store food) the more nutrients it loses. this site also has a tortoise supplement that i am currently using. good luck with your little guy!

http://www.sulcatafood.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.