Biggest/Heaviest Sulcata

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Biggest/Heaviest Sulcata

Zamric said:
bigdog said:
Zamric said:
WalkingRock is 115lbs at his last weigh-in in June. In this pic he is about 95lbs.

What is that on his shell?

Dog Tag! What else? What do you do when your 100lb tort excapes?:p

How did you adhere it to the shell.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
mike taylor said:
Zamric said:
bigdog said:
Zamric said:
WalkingRock is 115lbs at his last weigh-in in June. In this pic he is about 95lbs.

How did you adhere it to the shell.

2 part, HEAVY duty epoxy. Make sure to mar up the backside of the metal And don't let it touch the scute edge!

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Here is my big guy.
The pic is about a year old. He now weighs 130 pounds at the last weigh-in a few months ago. He is 15 years old.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Lancecham said:
Here is my big guy.
The pic is about a year old. He now weighs 130 pounds at the last weigh-in a few months ago.

I just love love this picture

bigdog

5 Year Member
Zamric said:
bigdog said:
Zamric said:

Good idea, I had never heard nor thought of that.. All my dogs are chipped and tagged but never thought of doing that to the tortoise. How did you attach it, silicone or epoxy or ???

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
bigdog said:
Zamric said:
bigdog said:
Zamric said:

Good idea, I had never heard nor thought of that.. All my dogs are chipped and tagged but never thought of doing that to the tortoise. How did you attach it, silicone or epoxy or ???

2 part, HEAVY duty epoxy. Make sure to mar up the backside of the metal And don't let it touch the scute edge!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
mike taylor said:
So I got no answer to my question. On average how big is the normal sulcata ?

Here is one thing to consider before I answer. Sulcatas really only started being bred in numbers in the early 90s, so most of the big adults you will see are only around 20 years old or younger. Also remember that most of these were started very dry since all the books and experts told everyone that sulcatas are a "desert" species.

Big males are typically 100-130 pounds. Occasionally a larger one will be seen, but most fall in this range. I have seen a few 150 pounders, and BFMorris claims his are 250 pounds, although I have never seen them.

Females are typically 50-80 pounds. I do know of one female that is 150 pounds, but this is unusual.

Once a lot of these CB animals are 40-50 years old, or the ones that are started with humidity and hydration start getting older, we might then see these numbers go up a bit.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
So I'm looking at 130/150 lbs . Thats not too bad would love to see my little rescue get that big . The one Kelly has has got to be pushing 200 lbs if not more . That guy is huge.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
According to what little I know, I would guess that Kelly's are also of Sudanese heritage, like Brads. The ones from Sudan get bigger and tend to have a higher, more rounded dome.