Billy bookcase???

yillt

Hi. I just got Billy a new rabbit hutch but on seeing it its to big and I think it's suited for outside. I am going to sell it and buy another one. I wondered if the Billy bookcase by Ikea is ok if I took out the shelves. I couldn't get any pictures but I love it's name (Billy) as my tortoise is called Billy. What do you think?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Many have used book cases for enclosures. However, there really is no "too big" when it comes to enclosures. You should always give as much room as you possibly can. Remember, in the wild they have no walls at all. So if the rabbit cage is bigger then the bookcase, I would use the rabbit cage.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I agreed with @wellington. No such thing as too big. What does the rabbit hutch look like.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

yillt

Many have used book cases for enclosures. However, there really is no "too big" when it comes to enclosures. You should always give as much room as you possibly can. Remember, in the wild they have no walls at all. So if the rabbit cage is bigger then the bookcase, I would use the rabbit cage.
When I say to big I mean that he can't quite get up the ramp and so there is loads of extra space. The ramp is SO steep and when he is big enough to get up his shell will be to wide in width. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Small strips of wood across the ramp for gripping may work to get him up. My torts ramp is pretty steep. I have roof shingles on them and also a piece if outdoor fake grass rug and strips of wood. He has three ramps.
When he is too large for the opening, then either cut the opening bigger or he will be in the need for a bigger enclosure.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
You could also use those shelving-grippy cloths. They work for my turtles.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
My enclosure started out as an ikea billy but I converted it to a closed chamber. It's a little over 6' and about 30" wide. It's a nice size but soon my Leo will outgrow it. He does get a lot of outside time btw.