Bind weed

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Grants Pass Oregon
i am curious tortoise table list bind weed as a feed in moderation and it is listed in the common weeds pictures at the top of this section as toxic do not feed. What do you guys think?
Thank you
Peggy Sue

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I don’t think it always has been listed as safe in the Tortoise Table so perhaps we’re out of date or just don’t agree.

I feed it and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one. It was the first weed I got my Russian to eat, actually.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't feed it, but I don't know if its toxic or not.

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
Thank you Rosemary, I had fed Sheldon some since I saw it was safe on tortoise table and I know they tend to be conservative. But when I was looking through the pictures and it said toxic it scared me some so glad you answered my question. Sheldon did really like it so glad I can keep feeding :):tort:

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I thought that flower looked familiar. It is the cousin to the Morning Glory and that is a total avoid! I personally would not take the chance with the now over abundant growths of safe weeds and plants. I almost spelled plantain which is of course over abundant and safe to feed so my neighbors do not like me, but my tortoise does!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
We just had a long discussion about morning glories and a very knowledgeable owner eventually explained it is the seeds that are toxic, not the plants or flowers: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/morning-glory-safe-contradicting-info.175404/#post-1741434. o_OThere are other foods in this plant family that are recommended here and elsewhere, such as sweet potato leaves and water spinach, so I’ve always struggled as to the “why” morning glory is bad. These days I don’t believe that it is bad although I understand why others won’t feed it.

Of course you should never feed anything you don’t feel safe with but my general sense is that if the Tortoise Table says bindweed is fine, it probably is. Now that they have a forum you can ask about a plant and they will explain very succinctly why they aren’t comfortable with it. They are still too conservative for me! But not most people. :)

Bindweed one of the weeds I can find after some others have dried up for the year so I am intentional in searching it out.

Again, no reason to feed if you aren’t comfortable with it.