Bioactive question

Steuern

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I am getting a three toed box turtle and would like to go bioactive with his indoor enclosure. My only concern really is that the isopods and springtails will escape, as his enclosure has an open top. Anyone have problems with the bugs escaping or do they stay in the dirt pretty well?

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Every once in a long while, I spot a random rolly polly crawling accross the floor. But they are easily retrieved and returned to the table. My floors dont have carpet, though. Whenever I see one on the ground outside, I harvest them for relocation into Arty's table!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
UNless you have extreme leaf buildup or very dirty floors they would not last long before dying once out of the enclosure. Also my Newfie Jackson would eat them in a heartbeat

Steuern

Wisconsin
Sounds like I should be safe then, thanks! What about the springtails? Do they stay in or go springing out? I'm hoping that my box turtle munches on any isopods that might get too adventurous.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Sounds like I should be safe then, thanks! What about the springtails? Do they stay in or go springing out? I'm hoping that my box turtle munches on any isopods that might get too adventurous.
With boxies I am pretty sure anything that wiggles or moves in their view is far game to eat! My russian chases them and my Leopard could careless even if they crawled on him

Steuern

Wisconsin
With boxies I am pretty sure anything that wiggles or moves in their view is far game to eat! My russian chases them and my Leopard could careless even if they crawled on him

Awesome. My only real concern was having unpleasant escapees, but if that's not a problem I'm sure he will love the company and free snacks. I'll get isopods and springtails and earthworms in there, and a couple of live plants.