Bird vs tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Hey guy I had a quick question I'm taking in a Senegal parrot off an owner who could not care for her. The only place I have to place the cage is beside my tortoises tank. I was going to put card board up to block them from seeing each other and to block anything the parrot tosses while it eats. But do you think the tortoise would be ok with the parrot? It should rarely see it and senegals are quiet birds make a tiny bit of noise. Would hearing the bird annoy my Leo. It's not a squaker at all.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can't honestly say I have several birds but they are not near any of my tortoises.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
tyguy35 said:
Hey guy I had a quick question I'm taking in a Senegal parrot off an owner who could not care for her. The only place I have to place the cage is beside my tortoises tank. I was going to put card board up to block them from seeing each other and to block anything the parrot tosses while it eats. But do you think the tortoise would be ok with the parrot? It should rarely see it and senegals are quiet birds make a tiny bit of noise. Would hearing the bird annoy my Leo. It's not a squaker at all.
[/

The only issue I would be concerned about is the feather dust...It gets everywhere..and some people/animals it been known to causes breathing problems..But then again a Senegal isn't very big..

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Well .......Sally' says " No Problem" ... We keep um in Check! :p
fool28.jpg

JD~:shy:

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Have you owned a parrot before?? As a parrot owner and member of a parrot rescue group, I think the 2 can ideally co-habituate well provided you take some basic precautions and follow some basic parrot care rules. Parrots have the intelligence and learning ability of a 3 year old child and have really specialized care requirements.

1. Parrots need a minimum 3 hours a day out of their cage, ideally some time spent with you and some spent just hanging out and playing on their own.
2. Parrots need a very clean environment in their cage. It has to be cleaned daily, bacteria is deadly to a bird. Fresh food should be left no longer than 4 hours at a time. The humidity might be an issue if the tank and cage are close.
3. Fresh foods should be a daily part of their diet. Surprisingly most of the greens you'd feed a tort can be fed to a parrot (kale, chard etc) Cooking for your parrot will be a regular activity
4. Parrots also need a bath or shower 2-3 times a week to help maintain their feather condition and to help control the dust as you mentioned.
5. Parrots need to be on a good pellet diet, in addition to fresh foods, seed diets are poor nutritional choice.

I could go on for days, being involved with rescue makes this a sensitive subject for me. We see far too many birds that have lived horrendous lives in poor conditions. I don't mean to preach but I just want to make sure you go into this with your eyes open as it's a huge, lifelong commitment.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Noting wrong with preaching IMHO as long as helpful info is provided, thanks jason

Blondeangel

5 Year Member
Charleston, SC
I have a Black Headed Caique (a tad larger then Senegal), her cage isn't anywhere near my tortoise's habitats, but she does spend a great deal of time together on the patio with my Russian. My bird is super lazy and actually doesn't fly anywhere, instead she gets on the floor and walks around, so there are a lot of interactions with the tortoise. One time she got a little to close to the tortoise, who ended up with a mouth of feathers hah, I think she learned her lesson though, because she's never got that close again. Oh and my bird is a super loud mouth (don't be fooled, I don't think there is such thing as a "quiet" bird - once they are comfortable and happy - they are not that quiet.) - and that doesn't phase my Russian or any of the Leopard's/Pancake when they are out on the patio.

Status
Not open for further replies.