Birdfeeder over sulcata

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Is it ok to put a birdfeeder over my sulcata enclosure? Im hoping for an extra array of weeds from the fallen seed. But my concern is the seed that falls and stays on top of the dirt/weeds, what will happen to my Ralph if he eats the seeds?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Any seeds that get eaten will likely just pass through with no ill effects. I’ve found, though, wild bird seed typically is sterile.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Any seeds that get eaten will likely just pass through with no ill effects. I’ve found, though, wild bird seed typically is sterile.
Sterile like in won't grow? Cuz I sure never found that to be true. One of the reasons I got rid of mine. That and the piles of bird poop.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Sterile like in won't grow? Cuz I sure never found that to be true. One of the reasons I got rid of mine. That and the piles of bird poop.

I don’t feed seed but I’ve seen listed “sterile” not to grow as a promotion on bags. I hadn’t thought about the bird droppings though and I think that’s a good point Barb.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don’t feed seed but I’ve seen listed “sterile” not to grow as a promotion on bags. I hadn’t thought about the bird droppings though and I think that’s a good point Barb.
I never seen that before. Wish I had, I might have kept feeding them lol.
The poop, yeah drove me nuts. Besides the piles under the feeder, they pooped a lot more all over my stuff, ugh.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't help it if a bird flies over my outdoor enclosure and poops, but I wouldn't do anything to encourage birds to come to my enclosures and poop.

Brendelwood

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
I've had similar experience with the seeds and the poop issue as well. There is a bird feeder just outside the tortoise's pen and some seeds make their way into the enclosure. Brendel doesn't have much interest in seeking it out, but whatever he does consume seems to pass right through.

I have found that my tortoise sniffs out poop like a pig snuffles truffles. Whenever I let him out of his area to explore the rest of back yard he seems to know exactly where to go. If I scan ahead of whichever direction he starts walking I can use his nose to help locate those elusive "doggy landmines" before I mow the yard or have guests over.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had a bird feeder next to my primary pen.
At first all was well, and some plants grew and we saw some beautiful birds....
Then came the fat, clumsy Muscovy ducks. They proceeded to crap all over the place and practiced crash landings and crash takeoffs in my hibiscus bushes.
Then the last straw. RATS.
Maybe you have more patients than I do.
But I'm no longer a fan of bird feeders.