Pest control

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
We noticed a crap ton of termites and ants on my wood raised planter bed full of romaine and weeds for my sully, Ralph. I sprayed with peppermint, orange, tea tree, and citronella essential oils mixed with water. The weeds have not sprouted yet and the romaine just started sprouting last week. I mainly sprayed the outside of the box, but inevitably spray got in the dirt and on the sprouts. Will the weeds and romaine be safe for Ralph?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are in uncharted territory for me. I have zero experience with those things. Doesn't seem like they would be toxic weeks from now and with heavy watering, but I could be wrong.

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hi,

Tea tree and citronella are poisonous for humans if ingested. Orange is citrus too and not good for many animals to eat. Peppermint might be ok, obviously humans can eat that! Not at all sure about tortoises though. [emoji53]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have used a product called "orange Guard" to kill bugs and ants. The label tells you it's safe around pets and people. Been using it for years. Of course, I've never sprayed my tortoises.

I know you won't like this, but I suggest you tear down that planter and get rid of the termite-ridden wood before they get to your house.