Bit annoying!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
Strange question!!

Has or does anybody get/got looked at for being weird for keeping tortoise's or turtles now or in the past?? People seem to think Im strange for keeping the thing I love most, bar my wife, dog and football lol and what do you say to these so called, tossers? Lol

THANK GOD for the forum!! I can love what I love along with thousands of others who know how I feel :) and not get criticised!!

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Hey I keep snakes, too. Compared to them, keeping tortoises or turtles isn't nearly as weird to an "outsider." Typically, whenever the topic of my pets come up, the other party usually mentions something to the effect that they used to have a baby turtle when they were a child...kept in a round glass bowl with a mini palm tree, of course.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
My neighbors think it's awesome!! They love to see them- visit and totally "get it"! I think I'm lucky. I live where bog turtles live-- now I realize they need help ( to be left alone in the wild), I'm helping to teach people to slow down and help them cross streets- but leave them alone. My turtle and tortoise have educated a lot of folks :)

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
You're talking to someone who not only has 2 torts, but has had a house turkey (he did wear a diaper). People think I'm strange, but I don't know why.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Everyone I encounter are always suprised when they find out I keep tortoises/turtles and want to know more. I don't get negative comments and at work people always ask me how they are doing, I even have one lady who tells me on Friday's to "kiss the babies for me" lol, I don't kiss them though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First of all, ALL animal people ARE weird in some way or other. :)

Yes, we all get the strange looks and the, "Well what do they DO?..." questions. I always tell them they eat, walk around and sleep at night, and then watch the person's face as they wait for something more... I find it fun to see how long they'll wait, and what they will say next.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
It's just the fact that I'm obsessed with tortoises and people can't understand why obviously to an outsider, they think there just boring pointless pets which does my head in!! I do get certain people ask about them quite abit but only mates and family :) I had a sick joke played on me by the looks of it :( stupid Facebook status, people know I'm in the uk and that I keep torts and that there in there outside enclosure whilst im away, so with knowing that, a so called mate said he ran over a tort or along those lines near my house, just upset me, turned out to be a joke (well I hope) people who are keeping an eye on them (proper friends) said there all fine and loving the sun!! :)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I have had a few say something. But mainly people only say something when they see a facebook pic of Cooper sleeping on me in bed. Hey, if you dont like it, then dont look at our pics! I could careless what anyone else says cause he is my little buddy! :p

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They may have good reason... after all most people don't go out for some milk and come back with a pocket full of dandelions! :D

yoda3106

5 Year Member
See, this is what I like, people who love what I love :) makes me feel better knowing I can talk freely about torts on here and not get questioned!! :)

cemmons12 said:
I have had a few say something. But mainly people only say something when they see a facebook pic of Cooper sleeping on me in bed. Hey, if you dont like it, then dont look at our pics! I could careless what anyone else says cause he is my little buddy! :p

See, with this, I use to like posting pics on Facebook of our 3 but with all the sly comments, It just got stupid!! :(

Tom said:
First of all, ALL animal people ARE weird in some way or other. :)

Yes, we all get the strange looks and the, "Well what do they DO?..." questions. I always tell them they eat, walk around and sleep at night, and then watch the person's face as they wait for something more... I find it fun to see how long they'll wait, and what they will say next.

I am going to say this from now on, they eat sleep and walk, same as a dog, cat etc

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I did in the past from my grandma she always thought it was a "phase" I would grow out of, but now she enjoys seeing them when she visits and asks about them all the time. I never told anyone in school I had them though.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
They may have good reason... after all most people don't go out for some milk and come back with a pocket full of dandelions! :D

I'm soo like this lol but it's fun, it's me looking after my babies!! Lol

dmmj said:
I did in the past from my grandma she always thought it was a "phase" I would grow out of, but now she enjoys seeing them when she visits and asks about them all the time. I never told anyone in school I had them though.

I wish kept them quiet but I haven't, nothing will ever be said to anybody now bar real friends and family!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with what Tom said. Us animal lovers are a weird breed and I am so glad I am part of it. As for the nay sayers, when they ask me why I want one (tort/turt)I just tell them, because I have always loved turtles and tortoises and always wanted them. What they think after that, who cares. I probably wouldn't understand their likes or loves either, nor would I probably want to be their friend, some of them anyway. Most people think I am nuts for spending the amount of money I spend on either buying my pets, or I spend on vet bills. Oh well, my money not theirs. Yoda3106, we are glad you are one of us, we do understand, and I think animal/reptile people are the better genre, in my opinion:p:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Naaa ....doesn't bother me...to each their own...had a co worker once do a switcha roo on me at the park I used to work at....I had an office that had a door that led outside, so when I was at work which was like 6 days a week 10-12 hours a day..lol...I would leave the door open so the old man Humphry could come and go out onto his private patio :D well, I ran off to do something and when ever I would come back to my office I would step over the little brick patio wall to go back into my office and would say hey Humph what's up...well, I did this and as I got one step further I stopped and turned and instead of Humph there was a beautiful 12" red ear slider....I screamed a few choice words because I did not see Humph and I suddenly hear a few grown men giggling behind me holding Humph....silly men...there had apparently been a fisherman that caught her by the bottom lip and the guys were bringing it over for me to check out and to let me take it out to a private part of the marsh to let it go again and they thought it would ne oh so funny to freak me out....they later actually said they were laying bets on how long it would take for me to notice...hahaha...like I would not be able to tell???...lol...funny just the same...here is a pic of the girl..

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Funny! I have been keeping and breeding reptiles and amphibians for almost 30 years. Having a "clean room" for poison Dart frogs, a pond in the basement for crocodilians, a room for breeding fruit flies and pinhead crickets, and 3 rooms of snakes and lizards doesn't get any weirder because of the 40 lb tortoise in the backyard. I like being different. Different is never boring!

yoda3106

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I agree with what Tom said. Us animal lovers are a weird breed and I am so glad I am part of it. As for the nay sayers, when they ask me why I want one (tort/turt)I just tell them, because I have always loved turtles and tortoises and always wanted them. What they think after that, who cares. I probably wouldn't understand their likes or loves either, nor would I probably want to be their friend, some of them anyway. Most people think I am nuts for spending the amount of money I spend on either buying my pets, or I spend on vet bills. Oh well, my money not theirs. Yoda3106, we are glad you are one of us, we do understand, and I think animal/reptile people are the better genre, in my opinion:p:D

I'm glad to be part of it to :) I really would have more than 3 torts if I was aloud and maybe a few different reptiles aswell but you know, the boss (wife) has spoken lol all though she loves them like I do to and would have more ha I can tell!! :) I want a turtle but I think maybe it's abit to much, plus, I could take it home to the uk when I leave Cyprus, the torts I can!!

I do say that to people, from a young age, I've always wanted torts and now I'm glad I have them forever!! :) for birthdays or Christmas I usually ask for things for the torts lol that's how much I love them, ok, maybe the odd few prezzies for me :p lol but I spend on them and don't care!!

Thankyou :) I'm glad to be part of this, it's the 1st and last thing I check everyday and one day I hope to be one of the more experienced members on here that people ask souly for advice like yourself!!

acrantophis said:
Funny! I have been keeping and breeding reptiles and amphibians for almost 30 years. Having a "clean room" for poison Dart frogs, a pond in the basement for crocodilians, a room for breeding fruit flies and pinhead crickets, and 3 rooms of snakes and lizards doesn't get any weirder because of the 40 lb tortoise in the backyard. I like being different. Different is never boring!

Wow, that is amazing!! :) this I would like thou my wife would pretty much kill me haha :) this makes me feel good to be different :) thankyou!!

ascott said:
Naaa ....doesn't bother me...to each their own...had a co worker once do a switcha roo on me at the park I used to work at....I had an office that had a door that led outside, so when I was at work which was like 6 days a week 10-12 hours a day..lol...I would leave the door open so the old man Humphry could come and go out onto his private patio :D well, I ran off to do something and when ever I would come back to my office I would step over the little brick patio wall to go back into my office and would say hey Humph what's up...well, I did this and as I got one step further I stopped and turned and instead of Humph there was a beautiful 12" red ear slider....I screamed a few choice words because I did not see Humph and I suddenly hear a few grown men giggling behind me holding Humph....silly men...there had apparently been a fisherman that caught her by the bottom lip and the guys were bringing it over for me to check out and to let me take it out to a private part of the marsh to let it go again and they thought it would ne oh so funny to freak me out....they later actually said they were laying bets on how long it would take for me to notice...hahaha...like I would not be able to tell???...lol...funny just the same...here is a pic of the girl..

I'd like to see these marshes :) sounds amazing!! Is it all free roaming tortoise and turtles?

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Our friends who know us well aren't so surprised, but a lot of people do give us weird looks when they find we have tortoises. :D A lot of my employees actually ask how the tortoises are doing now. People think I am weird because of how I treat my animals and how my husband I view animals. I think because we aren't hippies it's hard for people to believe we are vegetarians and cruelty free. Our neighbors this weekend definitely thought we went off our rockers while we were having our tortoise fun zone built. I was planting edible plants on the edge of their play area and designing how the rocks should be laid out so they could climb. They also thought it was weird that I planted veggies and declared.. if the bunnies are hungry.. let them eat :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yoda3106 said(I'm glad to be part of this, it's the 1st and last thing I check everyday and one day I hope to be one of the more experienced members on here that people ask souly for advice like yourself!!)
Yoda3106. Thank you so much, however I am just as new to this as you and I only have one tortoise. Like you, i want more. Veteran member, not keeper. I have learned a lot from this forum, but have oh so much more to learn. Some day, we both will be like the more experienced we are learning from. Because they are so good and so Sharing, it shouldn't take us long.:D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
yoda3106 said:
Has or does anybody get/got looked at for being weird for keeping tortoise's or turtles

THANK GOD for the forum!! I can love what I love along with thousands of others who know how I feel :) and not get criticised!!

I have constantly been looked at as weird for a long time. My parents was the first back in the 80's when i purchased a male aldabra for $20,000. My coworkers were always taken back and thought i was just nuts. Some of my girlfriends shared my passion and some did not. My neighbors, well most just do not see things the same way as i do. Well, look at me now, A dream come true! ALDABRAMAN!

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
My parents and girlfriend think I'm nuts :D
I have 9 sliders, 1 snapper and 4 tortoises !:)

The people at work call me a turtle collector :)

Status
Not open for further replies.