Bit the bullet and got another tort!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
Anyway this is what my vet had to say:

"Entomoeba is an opportunistic organism, meaning if the tortoise is healthy, it may just constitute part of the microflora and not cause a problem. When the tortoise is ill due to something else eg poor nutrition or respiratory infection, these organisms then multiply and cause disease.

Flagyl is a good antibiotic. It is NOT broadspectrum and should be used strategically and with caution. It can cause liver toxicity in some cases, and more importantly can kill off many of the useful microflora of the gut which are important in stablising the gut environment and help with digestion."

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Once again... I offer suggestions/recommendations based on experience. I've seen and found that not using Flagyl in a new tortoise presents greater risk of loss than using it.

When I say Flagyl is broad spectrum, I mean it kills a wide range of protozoa in addition to killing of a wide range of bacteria.

I can pull comments out of references also but it all comes down to common sense.

samstar said:
Anyway this is what my vet had to say:

"Entomoeba is an opportunistic organism, meaning if the tortoise is healthy, it may just constitute part of the microflora and not cause a problem. When the tortoise is ill due to something else eg poor nutrition or respiratory infection, these organisms then multiply and cause disease.

Flagyl is a good antibiotic. It is NOT broadspectrum and should be used strategically and with caution. It can cause liver toxicity in some cases, and more importantly can kill off many of the useful microflora of the gut which are important in stablising the gut environment and help with digestion."

Status
Not open for further replies.