Biting New Objects?

Nmcgowan

Hello again all! So today was cleaning day for little Molly and I. All new substrate and her dishes, rocks, log hide, and fountain all got a good soak in a water/maxima solution! But this time there was a little difference. I picked her up a new hide today. You can see it in the picture: its long, arched, and dark. What I really like about it is that the back is fully enclosed. I'm hoping this would help keep the humidity in :D. Anyway, as soon as I put Molly back into her newly cleaned home she went right for the hide and started biting it. She can't actually take any chunks out of it but I was like WHOA. She has never done this to any other new things I have added to the tank. I guess my main question here is: Should I be worried? Is this her way of just checking it out or is she upset about it? I put this new hide where her old half-log hide use to be. Its rests over the coir she likes to burrow into when she sleeps. The half log hide is now at the other end of the tank. Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

20160328_185841.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
My redfoots will generally taste test new things once. They don't usually gnaw on new items.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
basically to a tortoise their entire world is either eat things or can't eat things they pretty much bite stuff to see if it's edible or not, no big problems or worries.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Just make sure she can't climb the log and flip. I had that issue with one of my torts.