Black market traders

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
Right! i am going to have a rant, so if you are in a good mood please move on to another thread!!

At work today minding my own business worming a tort ready for winter,
A couple came over and asked if i could worm their tort, I asked what tort it was and how old,

The reply left me gobsmacked to say the least.
Quote, from Morrocan woman" its a greek, dont know how old"

Me " you realise that it is a protected species and if you get caught with it you can face a heavy fine!"

Woman" why its from my country"

Me yes but its still illegal"

Woman " but why i bring from my country"

Me " but just because you are Morrocan it does not give you the right to ownership"

Husband " I wonder what would happen if i got caught with 40/50 torts"

Me " exscuse me, where do you get them from?"

Hubby "i just pick them up and shove them in with the spair tyre every time we come to spain"

Me (mouth open " what sizes do you bring in?"

Hubby " oh all sizes, they are gonna die if i leave them"

Me ( face red and at boiling point " do you have any idea what you are doing, Out of those that you take away from a huge amount of wandering space and shove on tiles only 1% has a possibility of surviving!

Hubby " they will die anyway"

I am currently trying to get their address to report them, i am dead set against animals being taken from the wild.
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Wow he just openly told you that he is smuggling tortoises...Crazy...

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Wow is right, I can't even believe that, how does he know they are going to die anyways? I hope you can track them down, good luck, I'm rooting for you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
These people aren't black market traders. They're ignorant, every-day people who haven't a clue about laws regarding tortoises. They think they're doing a good thing. It happens all over the world every day.

We need to get the laws regarding taking turtles and tortoises from the wild, out into the public more. The key to stopping this kind of abuse is education.

Here in California, one faces up to a $50,000 fine and up to a year in jail if caught taking a desert tortoise from the desert. If we could make this a more prevalent fact, so EVERYONE is aware of it, it might cut down on illegal capture.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Geez! What an ignoramus! Hope you manage to get the information you're seeking. Good luck!!! Grrrr...!!!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Everyone is on alert at work so if they bring the tort in to be wormed when im not here, to do them a health book with Name and address,

These people are not every day people they know exactly what they are doing, or why else would they hide the torts in with the spare wheel!!

It makes my blood boil... The authorities know i have my torts and that they are being looked after well and not used to breed or sell, and also that if i get one that looks as thougth it could be wild captive i will hand it over to them..

How cruel to take them from a vast area of pure heaven to them, to a tiled patio to live the rest of their miserable lives, the lucky ones that do survive are still not given the proper diet...

Hate people at times, i will find them and i will get something done..

Status
Not open for further replies.